• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ease of Porting from J2SE?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm sure this isn't an uncommon question, but..
I actually just got an iPaq 5455 recently, and was considering porting a muck client I wrote to the device so I can telnet cleanly from bed. (Yes, I'm lazy.) The application itself currently is using Swing, so I imagine I'm going to have to redo the UI to cope with the differences in the packages and screen-size, but other than that, I'm wondering just how hard it is to port an application from J2SE to J2ME. Is it something I could conceivably do easily enough?
(All the application currently does, honestly, is read my 'preferences' - the addresses, ports, usernames and passwords - from a text file, add them to a few menus, and then open up telnet windows with separate input and output areas. The 5455 has wi-fi, so I know it can connect to the Internet when I'm on my network, and I know that telnet is possible through PDAs - the question is more one of building the UI, even if I have to key in the addresses and whatnot myself each time I run it. Preferably, I'd like to continue to include logging and prefereances-storage capability, but that's frankly just icing on the cake if it gets done.)

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unfortunately neither Personal Profile nor PersonalJava include Swing - they use AWT. There are moves afoot to add Swing to Personal Profile, but the expert group has only recently formed so its very early days. So there's some UI work to be done in your application port. For the remainder of the application, since Personal Profile is based on JDK 1.3 you should find it quite familiar.

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Daryl Wilding-McBride:
Unfortunately neither Personal Profile nor PersonalJava include Swing - they use AWT

That part, I'd already gathered. (Plus the fact that my GUI for the current app would be cramped on a 320x240 screen. ) But, that aside, I could probably work something through with AWT to have most of the same functionality... sounds like it's a fairly simple matter then to port from J2SE on the desktop to J2ME on a PocketPC device.
Hmmm.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic