• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

HandSpring w/PalmOS 3.0.1: Java Possible?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've given up the possibility of buying a Zaurus (me.rich = false; ) So I have my old faithful HandSpring Visor with PalmOS 3.0.1H. I've tried developing for it with both Waba and Jump, and those are fine.
I've heard that the J2ME is currently not supported for my version of the PalmOS. But I'd like to know what plans, if any, there are to support J2ME on older devices like this one. Has anyone heard anything new?
Thanks in advance.
[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Allen ]
[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Tim Allen ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had a JVM installed on my HandSpring Visor Prism. I can't remember the OS version, but I think it was at least 3.0. I don't have the link handy, but you simly need to download Sun's midp4palm package. I'm pretty sure the link is in a thread on this board. I've recently upgraded to a Sony Clie with Palm OS 4.??, and it seems to run J2ME midlets fine, too. Well, the example ones at least. I still need to figure out how to convert my own midlet to a PRC file.
[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Layne Lund ]

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not J2ME itself that is limited to OS versions or operating systems - it's the implementations produced by JVM vendors. The requirements for Sun's MIDP for Palm are not the same as IBM's WebSphere Micro Environment. So it would be worth trying both to see whether they runs on your version of Palm OS. Sun's MIDP for Palm was supported on Palm OS 3.5, but it may work on older versions. You also should check the memory requirements.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a Palm III with Palm OS 3.0x and wrote some simple apps using the old KVM a couple of years ago. It's no longer supported, but if you can find it you should be able to write Java based apps.
It's J2ME 1.0 I think -- been a while since I checked.
Hope this helps,
Burk
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic