• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2ME compatible phone list

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I like to get a list of all J2ME compatible phones. And also like to know how many phones in terms of percentage in the market are J2ME compatible and non-compatible. Thanks in advance.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
<a href="http://wireless.java.sun.com/device/index.html">SUN's list</a>
<a href="https://coderanch.com/t/227342/JME/Mobile/Buying-Java-enabled-Phone"> Java Ranch thread </a>
<a href="http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,1_0_55,00.html">Nokia's list</a>

author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"L Gu":
JavaRanch has a naming policy requiring spelled-out first names. Please change your display name accordingly. Thanks a lot.
As of J2ME phones, you can safely assume that all new phones from Nokia and Motorola will support J2ME.
cheers
Michael

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
MicroDevNet.com has an excellent list as well
http://www.microdevnet.com/devices

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm afraid Michael's wrong on this one, at least regarding Nokia. Whilst almost all new Nokia phones support J2ME, the newest low-end phones (Nokia 1100, 2100 & 2300) do not. Basically, when competing at the low end of the market, J2ME support still adds too much to the cost of the phone (more memory, faster CPU, etc.).
It's also still possible to buy new Nokia phones that are less recent models, and predate the widespread J2ME support (e.g. Nokia 5210).
That said, almost every new Nokia phone supports J2ME. A useful rule of thumb for the newly-announced phones seems to be that all those with colour screens support J2ME, and all those with black & white screens don't. It's easy to check from Forum Nokia, and Sun's J2ME Devices list is pretty up to date (at least regarding Nokia phones).

Michael Yuan
author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by David Price:
That said, almost every new Nokia phone supports J2ME. A useful rule of thumb for the newly-announced phones seems to be that all those with colour screens support J2ME, and all those with black & white screens don't. It's easy to check from Forum Nokia, and Sun's J2ME Devices list is pretty up to date (at least regarding Nokia phones).

Good point. Thanks for the correction, David. However, one exception is Nokia 6310i. It is a BW phone but does support MIDP. It even supports bluetooth. All Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 phones support J2ME/MIDP. Nokia is talking about 250 million Series 40 phones on the market by the end of next year.

David Price
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry, that's why I wrote "newly-announced", but I should have made it clearer - the Nokia 6310i was announced in March 2002. Other less recently-announced (but still current) Nokia phones which support J2ME but don't have colour screens are Nokia 3410, 3570, 3585, 3585i & 3590.
All this information is available (and unlike this post, regularly-updated ) on Forum Nokia's device list

Ben Hui
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
is there any hope to see a pure java based phone? (similar to blackberry), where java midlet can become native app? in consumer devices, I hope to see java can become "first citizen". I found a lot of company saying they have high speed JVM for contrainted environment, are they fast enough as a platform?

Michael Yuan
author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Savaje's Java OS phone is what you are looking for? It supports almost the full J2SE spec (yes, Swing 1.4 and Java 2D) in a handset no bigger than small cell phone. I have seen several demos during JavaOne and the Austin Game Conference. Extremely impressive. I do not know when this will be available in the mass market though.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What is the present list of mobile phone and models that support J2ME/JME ie Java?

Thanks in Advance,

Maki Jav

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you resurrect a thread this old, our technical term is "waking a zombie". We'd prefer you didn't do that. Just start a new thread.

But, as you might have noted, it was hard enough back then to get a good list of J2ME-compatible devices. These days, I'm sure it's even worse. J2ME was never a very good "write an app and hope it will run platform", anyway. You were better off picking a device(s) and writing the apps for that particlar tablet.

Android and iPhone are better for "write once run anywhere", but even there it's better to pick your targets.

Maki Jav
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have worked on J2ME and I domn't think it is bad. I tested it on Nokia OS 40 and 60 series and on Samsung k510i. Worked on them. So it was not that bad. What I am asking was the present mobiles that are supporting it.
I have seen that many Nokia mobiles, Samsung, Sony Erricson, HTC mobiles support it. Android OS based mobiles all support it.

Thanks,

Maki Jav

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic