• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JAL

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
it says that in loading j2me apps to a phone we need to use the JAL - Java Application Loader utility... is JAL already part of the J2ME Wireless Toolkit or I should download it from a site???
thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JAL is a Motorola iDEN tool. I found this page on JAL Lite which might be useful to you.
I doubt that JAL works with non-Motorola phones. If your phone is not a Motorola phone, tell us what manufacturer and model it is and we'll hopefully be able to tell you how to download MIDlets to that.

Benjoe Reyes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks david... for the info
but is there already an application loader with the toolkit???

David Price
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, different phones load MIDlets differently. Often the phone comes with some PC software (e.g. Nokia PC Suite) that allows you to synchronize the calendar & contacts and download MIDlets to the phone using serial cable, infra-red or Bluetooth. In some it's as simple as sending the MIDlet files to the phone over infra-red or Bluetooth 'OBEX' file transfer.
Most phones support downloading MIDlets from the Internet using their built-in Web or WAP browsers. See the thread here with subject "how to install a midlet" for information on how to do this using a WAP WML page.
Again, we can probably help you if you need to know the procedure for some specific phone model.

Benjoe Reyes
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well i'm trying to find out how to load an j2me email app to motorola's i50sx both through the data cable and through the web
and where could i find an emulator for i50sx??? and when does iDEN SDK 3.0 comes into the picture if i already have the J2ME Wireless Toolkit and Sun One Studio 4 Mobile Edition???
[ November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Benjoe Reyes ]

David Price
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Any Motorola or Nextel people listening? This isn't exactly my speciality...
That link to JAL Lite explains that you can't use it to download MIDlets that use networking: that would include your e-mail MIDlet. I think that you need some special developer account with e.g. Nextel in order to be allowed to download your own MIDlets that use networking.
You'll probably have more luck asking this question at Motorola's iDEN Developer Community. You might even find that it's documented in their FAQs.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic