• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Encoding question

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.
In my own application, I need to send user input to the server. The application is intended for the Japanese market, so I want to send data that is encoded in SJIS. I started with a pure English application, and sending POST data with application/x-www-form-urlencoded content-type worked quite fine. But with SJIS encoded strings, this looks not that fine anymore.
input=��� �&id=500
So my question: does this work at all with the mentioned content-type or have I to use multipart/form-data where I can specify an encoding for each part? At least the server application seems to recognize the different parameters in the example body string above. But I fear that the SJIS encoded string contains a & that is then treated as delimiter.
I do not use OutputStreamWriter at the momen that could take care of encoding but just write the strings from the TextFields into the output stream.
Christian Wolf

Christian Wolf
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello.
The issue I mentioned in my mail above has been solved. No problem anymore.
Short explaination: the SJIS (shift-jis) charset I am using includes ASCII-7 as subset. As this is an encoding, it is taken care, that a valid 1-byte character is not prefix of a 2-byte-character. So the problem with the & as delimiter is actually no problem at all.
Then I was able to send data to the server but the received data looked strange. Finally I found out. People adapt examples for their purpose and so did I. In Sun WTK 2.0, the demos MIDlet contained code for HTTP connection. They used code like

to append a new byte that was read from the stream to a StringBuffer. I made the error then that I simply converted this Stringbuffer to String by calling StringBuffer.toString() and wondered why I do not see the Japanese characters that I did input in the MIDlet. Then I realized by looking at verbose debugging output that two single bytes do not merge automatically to one two-byte character.
Solution is to convert the StringBuffer containing the byte representation of the string into a pure byte-array (first exporting the StringBuffer to char-array, then copying char[] to byte[]). This byte array can be used as argument for new String(byte[]) which automatically uses a default encoding, SJIS in my case. Result is new string containing all characters that I also inserted. This is kind of expensive but it seems to be neccessary.
Christian Wolf

Christian Wolf
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Stupido. Why easy, if it works complicated, too?
Just use InputStreamWriter and OutputStreamWriter. They take care for encoding. You write 2byte-characters and you get 2byte-characters. That's it.
Christian Stupido

author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very good. I do not deal with non-English languages on cell phones very often -- none of my phone actually support anything other than english. But I think you experience is very valuable and thank you for sharing with us.

What kind of corn soldier are you? And don't say "kernel" - that's only for this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic