• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SMS from Java to Afrika

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, I don't know if this should be in the J2me forum but I've seen a couple of similar posts moved to the J2me forum. Even though I've seen some similar posts I don't really understand them.
I'd like to send sms messages from my java program to mobile phones. The country code is 234 and an example number can be 08037409685 for instance. My question is, what do I need to do this, is there any cost or can it be free. It's just a simple 5 word message. The company has partners all over the world : http://www.gloworld.com/pages/value_roaming.html <- as you can see from the link. Sample code would be very much welcome since I've never done this sort of thing before. Many thanks. Igwe.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Igwe,

Well I've not seen any real good real world tutorials on how to do that, so I wrote a book on my adventures, and how I got a project to have a server trigger my phone app and the services needed. Take a look at:
http://www.cafepress.com/sms_midp2/
for my book. However you will most likely want to check out www.clickatell.com as they would be a good South African SMSC (you'll want that instead of dealing with all the different cell service providers.)

Hope that helps
-Shawn

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic