• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Confused about Blackberry Push

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The Blackberry has the ability to receive data that is 'pushed' to it from a special application (Mobile Data Service) running a sever (Blackberry Enterprise Server). Well, I think I have that right. If not then someone please correct me.

What I don't know what must a J2ME implementation running on a Blackberry device do to receive this 'pushed' data? I'm trying to understand some of the implementation details so that I might be able to create some sort of abstract push facility that I could use across devices/J2ME implementations.

Thanks!

Richard

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Not many J2ME devices can listen for incoming messages and then act on them (a.k.a. receive a push).

You'll mostly be limited to devices which support something like JSR 205.

The MessageListener interface provides a mechanism for the application to be notified of incoming messages.

When an incoming message arrives, the notifyIncomingMessage() method is called. The application MUST retrieve the message using the receive() method of the MessageConnection. MessageListener should not call receive() directly. Instead, it can start a new thread which will receive the message or call another method of the application (which is outside of the listener) that will call receive().

William Frantz
http://sprintdevelopers.com

this llama doesn't want your drama, he just wants this tiny ad for his mama
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic