• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

do I need j2me?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I know nothing about J2ME, but I am interested in learning more about it.

Before I get into the web sites and manuals I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

As a starting project I'd like to write a check book balancing application. I'd like to provide input into this application by using a mobile device (mobile phone, smart phone, PDA, pocket PC, etc).

Would I use J2ME to write an application to input the data?

I am thinking that a small application that had a few drop down menus and text fields to collect the input. When I would fill in the data I would want the mobile device to transmit the data back to my server (where all the data would be stored).

Is that a J2ME application?

If so, does anyone recommend any particular mobile device for this?

thanks.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, yes it is. But one big thing to remember about mobile devices, is that any time you send something from the device to somewhere else you will be costing the user money by using up their airtime. Many users wouldn't be happy with that.

Now, if the connection was bluetooth, then there is no airtime charge. But the device would have to be real near the machine to send the info to. And in that case I would find it much more faster and easier to just type it in directly to the machine that the data is going to. Much bigger screen there.

Usually, for a first project, think in terms of an app that stays on the device, and not need any connectivity. Then work your way up from there.

You can still do a basic checkbook balancing program where the balance is stored in the recordstore, and the user enters withdrawal or deposit from the drop down enters the amount, then that amount gets added or subtracted from the balance in the recordstore. No connectivity needed.

Good Luck

Mark

jeff ukridge
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok. I think I'm going to go ahead with this. I can't do bluetooth because the mobile units won't be anywhere near the server.

Any recomendation on a mobile device? I was thinking of something like a Sidekick II (T Mobile) or a TREO (Verizon).

Without getting too deep into it, I'm kind of assuming I have a decent set of GUI libraries (like SWING) for building the input app. Also I don't know how the transmit from the device works, would it be anything like a socket connection?

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, the J2ME apis is a small subset of libraries. There is no Swing, there is com.microedition.lcdui package which has a small number of widgets.

J2ME has the Generic Connection Framework for getting Connections. You basically pass in what type of connection you want, like a factory. Most of the time you will use the HTTPConnection. But they do have ServerSocket and Socket connections.

As far as devices go, there is a device listing at Sun's website here http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/device/device

Also for better looking UIs you might want to eventually look into J2ME Polish. But I recommend you start learning J2ME first before getting into it.

I highly recommend the Apress J2ME book from Jonathan Knudsen. Also check out all the tutorials on Sun's site, along with maybe their Specifications.

Mark

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I'm beginner on J2ME but I've been learning it to start a new project. I have to develop a small mobile application for palm (tungsten E2) to access a web service.
Seaching on google I found an example for this, but it uses KXML's and KSOAP's api. My doubt is ... there is another api to use?? What do you advice??

Regards,
Marcella Spiropulos

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic