• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bad programming style

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
in this example
synchronized method_A()
{
////some code or instructions.....
method_B();
}
synchronized method_B()
{
//some code or instructions.....
}
I've read from previous thread that the example above is bad programming style. If it is? how dose it become a poor style of programming?
I want some clarification. For posted topic before was not clearly answered. Thanks...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Normaly method B must not be synchronized, cause you call this method only from a synchronized one.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If method_A and method_B are in different classes, and hence synchronized on those different classes, this has the potential to create deadlock, the so-called deadly embrace. But you have probably already read about deadly embrace if you are doing multi-thread programming.
Beyond that...
If method_A and method_B are synchronizing on the same object, I don't think there is a reason why the second method "must" not be synchronized. However, if either method is at all complex, it might pose a maintenance problem.
Suppose method_A is expecting that nobody will tinker (or maybe even use) the state of the object while method_A holds the lock. The synchronized keyword on method_B suggest that it too will use or tinker with the state of the object, probably assuming that no other code cares, since method_B knows it's thread holds the lock. You may want to comment both method_A and method_B so that anyone working on the code in the future would be aware that the method does not have exclusive access to the object despite the use of the synchronized keyword.
That's a reason why we might avoid having synchronized routines call synchronized routines.

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I assume both methods are in the same class. If both a() and b() need to be public (or at least non-private), and the additional code in a() requires synchronization just as b() itself does, then this style is appropriate. Otherwise it may be a good idea to make b() private rather than synchronized - if it's only called from a(), and nowhere else, additional synchronization is unnecessary. Or if the extra code in a() does not really need synchronization itself, the sync in b() may be sufficient. It really depends on the application. But it's possible that this code is fine just the way it is.

Richard Teston
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What i have in mind in synchronized method is... that when synchronized method_A start calling synchronized method_B it will not going to execute another instruction below the instruction that call method_B until it finish executing method_B. Is this correct?
i.e
given these methods were private.
synchronized method_A()
{
step 1 --> //instruction.....
step 2 --> //instruction.....
step 3 --> //instruction.....
step 4 --> method_B
step 8 --> //instruction.....
step 9 --> //instruction.....
}
synchronized method_B()
{
step 5 --> //instruction.....
step 6 --> //instruction.....
step 7 --> //instruction.....
}

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Richard Teston:
What i have in mind in synchronized method is... that when synchronized method_A start calling synchronized method_B it will not going to execute another instruction below the instruction that call method_B until it finish executing method_B. Is this correct?
i.e
given these methods were private.
synchronized method_A()
{
step 1 --> //instruction.....
step 2 --> //instruction.....
step 3 --> //instruction.....
step 4 --> method_B
step 8 --> //instruction.....
step 9 --> //instruction.....
}
synchronized method_B()
{
step 5 --> //instruction.....
step 6 --> //instruction.....
step 7 --> //instruction.....
}

This is always the case, with or without synchronization. A thread of execution can only execute one instruction at a time. It cant both execute methodB and finish out A at the same time. A will be finished after B returns.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic