• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Threads and instance variables

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have many servlet threads that use the same action object (like how Struts works), and the servlet threads call the action class's processRequest method. This method is Thread safe as it only uses variables local to the processRequest method.
Now, if inside this method I create a new object, say B(), and B has instance variables that are being modified, will that cause a problem? Or since B is being called from inside a thread-safe method in my action object, will it not matter?
Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the help
Brian

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should be just fine. Every thread gets a new instance of B when they do new B() and each instance of B can do whatever it wants. This is a perfectly common sense way around the whole thread-safe-servlet issue: delegate work to a helper object. Of course J2EE reuses a single servlet instance to avoid a lot of object creation and gc, and this just kind of wipes out whatever they gained there. I feel bad when I do it, but I do it.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you create the object from inside the method, and manipulate it only inside the method where it's created, then it will only be accessed by one thread -- the one that called that method -- so there will be no thread-related problems.
On the other hand, if that object you create is stored in some globally accessible place, such that multiple simultaneous method invocations might use that object, then there may be a problem with thread safety.
Does this answer your question?

Brian Nice
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, thanks for the help! That clears things up for me.
Brian

What is that? Is that a mongol hoarde? Can we fend them off with this tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic