• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What's new?

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have the first edition of your book which is an excellent guide to threads. Especially back in the last century when threads were so new to us, that book was a life saver.

So what are the biggest changes in threads since the first edition? Assuming all my knowledge of threads came from that first edition, what new things should a Java programmer know?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thomas the book description points out that it introduces the new features available in JDK1.5 and thread usage implications in other fields (collection, IO, etc).

./pope

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
I have the first edition of your book which is an excellent guide to threads. Especially back in the last century when threads were so new to us, that book was a life saver.

So what are the biggest changes in threads since the first edition? Assuming all my knowledge of threads came from that first edition, what new things should a Java programmer know?

First Edition... ... While I have many copies of this edition myself, I rarely meet someone with this edition anymore.

Let me get you to the second edition first... The second edition was updated for Java 2 -- meaning JDK 1.2. The early chapters were modified to deal with the deprecated methods, a chapter was added to deal with multiprocessors as it was becoming popular, and some of the advance chapters where updated to deal with JVM changes.

Third edition was practically a totally rewrite... we threw out *all* of the examples, and did new ones from scratch. We condensed about 60 percent of the second edition into a single appendix. And we updated the book for J2SE 5.0 many new APIs throughout the book. The early chapters were rewritten in some cases because it didn't make sense to talk about stuff, to follow it with, "it is now deprecated".

Furthermore, there is now a new chapter specific for I/O issues, a new chapter for collection classes, an updated chapter for Swing, a new chapter for performance issues, and new chapters for J2SE 5.0. (specifically, a thread pool chapter, a task schedulling chapter, and atomic variables chapter)

Also, it wasn't 1.5 that cause all the changes. JDK 1.4 bought in issues like the NIO library, JDK 1.3 bought in the timer classes, etc.

And BTW, thanks for the compliment... too bad I don't choose who wins the book during this promotion...

Henry

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic