• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

To henry

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Henry,

I was reading the excerpt from your book found at www.onjava.com site. You have mentioned that unlike synchorined methods critical sections do not nest. Coud you please explain.

Thanks
Pradeep

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I was reading the excerpt from your book found at www.onjava.com site. You have mentioned that unlike synchorined methods critical sections do not nest. Coud you please explain.

The good thing with O'Reilly running an excerpt is that we don't actually have to write an article... ... the bad thing is that it is an excerpt -- things are taken out of context. My other issue is that they choose chapter 6, which will get really difficult later. In fact, the book actually recommends that the later section gets skipped and revisited after playing with the examples a bit.

In this case, the discussion of nesting locks was done a couple of chapters eariler, but since it was out of context, it may be confusing.

Hmmm... as a side note, it has been awhile since I coded Windows threads, but I don't even think the statement is true anymore... thanks for the head up, we may have accidently let an error slip through...

Henry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Henry Wong:
My other issue is that they choose chapter 6, which will get really difficult later. In fact, the book actually recommends that the later section gets skipped and revisited after playing with the examples a bit.

In this case, the discussion of nesting locks was done a couple of chapters eariler, but since it was out of context, it may be confusing.

Oh, then I can figure out that some chapters of the book needs reading the chapters before them so that they are well understood... This thread is the basic answer for that issue...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic