• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I take the exam?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well, about a month ago I tried two to three times to register for the 1.4 beta, and never heard back. Or So I thought. My confirmation came through just before the weekend and I scheduled the test for Friday morning, the Last day to take the exam.
I'm a J2EE programmer and use java on a daily basis, and figure I should take the exam regardless of whether or not I can pass, as it'll be a good learning experience if I have to take it again. Any opinions on where I should focus my "cramming" this week?
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Brendan,
I took the 1.3 certification exam not too long ago, but haven't taken the 1.4 beta; but I wasn't sure if you were looking for certification advice in general or advice specific to the 1.4 exam.
Anyway, I found some topics hard that I thought would be hard (threads, awt) but I also found the java.lang package topics hard (based on my score) even though I expected that to be relatively simple. Perhaps there were only a few questions on that section so there aren't enough data points.
All in all, you've got to study the stuff you are weakest in; that sounds obvious but I think there is a natural tendency to focus on the areas you do well in since it gives you more positive feedback.
Good luck!
Tony Jackson

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic