• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

1.2 or 1.4???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear sir,
I am new to the beautiful world of Java and want to sit for SCJP. But I am highly confused whether to sit for SCJP 1.2 or SCJP 1.4. I have read the SCJP faq of Javaranch and understood the difference of the objectives of these two. Still I am confused. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If would go for 1.4 unless you have a particular need for 1.2 (1.2 might be better when applying for a job which involves a lot of GUI work, for example, as it shows you know the AWT).
In theory the two SCJP exams are the same difficulty, so you cannot pick an 'easier' one - the pass mark for 1.4 is lower but the questions are supposedly harder than in 1.2 exam. Given that, I chose the 1.4 exam as it applies to the most recent technology and (on a more practical note) it is easier to learn assertions than I/O and the AWT.

Prosenjit Banerjee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Ben Ritchie,
Thank you very much for your reply. I still want to know which is easler. Javaranch tell me that 1.2 is easier. Again I would want to know which is most preferred by most of the people. I want to accept more opinios. Where are the Ranch Hands? Please reply me more. Thanks

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Prosenjit -
I'd say definitely go for 1.4 and here's why:
1) The 1.2 test is old. It will only be around until 1.4 has been fully integrated around the world. You know the technical world moves quickly, it's easy to be 'yesterday's news', and 1.2 has that feeling. It is yesterday's news. (I'm exaggerating a little bit but it's a little like saying 'I'm certified in Windows 3.1')
2) You can make the argument that 1.4 is actually easier to study for...
a) The 1.4 questions are probably a little harder than the 1.2 questions, but...
b) You don't have to study AWT (which is a BIG topic)
c) You don't have to study I/O (which is also a BIG topic)
d) You have to add assertions (which are easy)
e) You have to add two new collection classes (which are easy)
So the upshot is: Studying for 1.4 is more focused.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd go for SCJP2 1.4. Once done you can learn all the I/O, Swing, AWT you need and like when going for SCJD or SCWCD.
-Barry

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bert Bates:
1) The 1.2 test is old. It will only be around until 1.4 has been fully integrated around the world. You know the technical world moves quickly, it's easy to be 'yesterday's news', and 1.2 has that feeling. It is yesterday's news. (I'm exaggerating a little bit but it's a little like saying 'I'm certified in Windows 3.1')

I disagree with this. My certification says that I am certified in Java 2, not in Java 1.2. And since the differences between 1.2 and 1.4 are slight anyway I don't think anyone is thinking that 1.2 is like Windows 3.1. But, given the choice, I would take the 1.4 exam because you have much less material to concentrate on.

Prosenjit Banerjee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks to all of you for your valuable suggestions. Now, I think I should sit for 1.4. But, one last hasitation in my mind is as 1.4 is a new addition I won't be able to get enough sample questions and other materials for it. So, I think it would be risky to sit for 1.4 for me. So, I have decided to prepare for both 1.2 and 1.4 and later I will set my mind finally.
Thnaks very much again.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic