• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I am very frustrated after tried dan's mock test...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
before that,I think I can pass the SCJP1.4 in 3 weeks.Now,I think maybe I need 3 months or more.:-(
Can anybody who has already passed the exam give me some good advice?
By the way,there are so many multiple choice in Dan's test,does anybody know if they'll tell me how many correct options with one question I can choose in real exam?
Excuse my poor english.:-)
Thanks in advance
Sam

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
sam-
Don't be too worried -- It's pretty much agreed that Dan's exam is more difficult than the real thing (Check out this thread for more info).
On the real exam you will be told each time how many answers you need to select. If you select too many -- it will give you an error -- if you don't select enough -- it will give you an error.
Good luck!

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sam -
I also recommend getting the actual Sun objectives from the Sun web site. There is one error in their objectives, in the wrapper classes you will NOT be tested on getXxx methods but you will be tested on valueOf methods.
The reason I bring this up, is because if your testing time is coming up shortly, it is important to focus your efforts on the key topics. I believe that Dan would agree that his mock exams cover more topics than the actual exam. If you really study the Sun objectives then you can see which of Dan's questions you should focus on.
For instance, I think Dan's questions on operator precedence are great for general Java knowledge (although personally I'm a big fan of parenthesis ) , but these precedence questions are much, much more difficult than anything you will experience on the actual exam.
Focus, Focus, Focus
[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bert Bates ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I have the exam coming up in a week. Where can I find the material that is more focused than Dan's (BTW, I am thru with Dan's questions except for thread)? I guess Marcus's exams are more focused, but he has only a few exams (about 120 questions) where as Dan has close to 600 questions -> maybe this why his is diversified Anyway, let me know where I can find more focused and upto date material/exam questions. Thanks.

sam huang
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear all,
Thanks for the reply.
I think this forum is the best Sun Certification forum in the world. (so many warmhearted experts are here!)
I hope I could help other newbies someday too.
Good luck to everybody!
Sincerely Sam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bert Bates:
Sam -
For instance, I think Dan's questions on operator precedence are great for general Java knowledge (although personally I'm a big fan of parenthesis ) , but these precedence questions are much, much more difficult than anything you will experience on the actual exam.

I took the real exam in late November and found it to be very easy relative to my exam. In response, I reorganized my exam such that many of the questions have been removed from the comprehensive exams and are now only found in single topic exams marked "Optional". For example, many of the questions related to operator precedence are now found only in the "Optional" sections. The questions that remain in the non-optional exams require only a very minimal understanding of operator precedence. For example, a person is required to know that multiplication and division have higher precedence than addition and subtraction. Those are precedence rules that we learn in elementary school while we are learning basic arithmetic so I think it is fair game on any certification exam that includes the use of basic arithmetic.
Anyone that learns the basics of boolean logic knows that the "and" operator has higher precedence than the "or" operator. Therefore, I think that understanding the precedence rules of boolean logic is fair game for any exam that includes the use of boolean logic.
Of course, the real exam requires a person to know the precedence of the postfix, prefix, and cast operators and a trick question involving the precedence of the cast operator is almost sure to appear on the real exam. That would be the question where the cast operator appears to explicitly narrow the result of an entire expression but really only narrows the first operand in the expression.
From the feedback that I have received it appears that the above precedence rules are not difficult to master. Instead, people seem to have more difficulty understanding that Java parses expressions from left to right while humans evaluate expressions starting from the inner most parenthesis. The difference between the two algorithms is not apparent unless the expression contains postfix and/or prefix operators.
In summary, the non-optional sections of my exam require an understanding of those rules of arithmetic that we all learned in elementary school and an understanding of boolean logic. Of course, like the real exam, it is also necessary to know the precedence of the postfix, prefix, and cast operators. That's the easy part.
The more difficult concept to master is the fact that Java parses expressions from left to right while we humans start with the inner most parenthesis. As a result, the order in which Java evaluates the prefix and postfix operators is always left to right while we humans would prefer to first increment those operands that appear within the inner most parenthesis.
An easy algorithm to remember is the one described by Maha Anna. You should first go through the expression from left to right and evaluate all of the postfix and prefix increment/decrement expressions. Then use a second pass through the expression to evaluate all of the other operators based on the operator precedence rules and based on the use of parenthesis. Of course, Java does not really use two passes, but we humans have an easier time with the two pass approach.
Once again, the December 4 version of my exam has been reorganized such that difficult questions appear in sections marked "Optional". If you are still having trouble with the operator questions in the non-optional sections of the December 4 exam, then you really need to do more work with operators.

Bert Bates
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dan -
The amount of time and energy you have put into these questions is truly awesome. I wrote most of the questions for the cert book, and for Sun's epractice, and I know just how time consuming they are to create!
My hat is off to you, you do all of the participants here at JavaRanch a great service.
-Bert

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Dan's exam is not difficult. if you understand all the answers, he has provided, then you will surely pass the exam. i passed my exam in 4 weeks, but i heavily concentrated on Dan's mock exams. Dan, good work mate. you have done a hell of a job to come of with such mock exams.

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dhaval,
Welcome to Javaranch, a friendly place for Java greenhorns
We ain't got many rules 'round these parts, but we do got one. Please change your displayed name to comply with the JavaRanch Naming Policy.
Thanks Pardner! Hope to see you 'round the Ranch!

Dan Chisholm
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bert,
When I started working on my exam I thought that it would be a quick, easy project. It certainly required a lot more time than I had anticipated. It was a great learning experience both in terms of Java and XML.
Congratulations on your book. I'm sure that it will be very successful.

Dan Chisholm
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Dhaval.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think if you want a good score, you have to be comfortable with Dan's exams !(May be u can leave the optional stuff)
While giving the exam, I felt that the main exam is not as easy as Marcus Green exams.
Three cheers to Dan's exam !!!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic