• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Big Moose Saloon postings appearing on Google.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I typed my name in Google, and found a lot of my questions / posts come up on Google.....

Is there a way to not show postings on JavaRanch on Google? Why aren't the postings accessible to just JavaRanch?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just curious, why wouldn't you want to have your posts appear on Google?

Anyway, since the whole purpose of a forum like ours is to help people, preventing people in need of help from finding solutions to their problems through Google would be counter-intuitive -- to me at least.
[ September 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lasse Koskela ]

Unnsse Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In 2001, I started playing around with Ant, and posted some basic questions... I'm just paranoid that prospective employers might search my name on Google and see my lame questions

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They also get to see that you are involved in the Java community. And that you have people to ask if they have a difficult problem.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not saying this to be cruel, but I'm just taking the opportunity to mention a lesson that everyone who uses the Internet needs to learn: email, Usenet, and forums like JavaRanch are public. Don't do anything electronically that you wouldn't do in the middle of a public square. Be kind to people. Be honest. Be helpful. Be decent. Be smart.

As far as being embarrased about asking silly Ant questions in 2001: don't worry about it. Ant is not only hard to use, but in 2001, nobody knew much about it. As has already been stated, prospective employers would just see you proactively looking for useful information, and that's a good thing, not a bad one.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I see you've been asking this question "Why are Macs better than
PCs?" in at least four blogs and other forums.

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Helen Thomas:
I see you've been asking this question "Why are Macs better than
PCs?" in at least four blogs and other forums.

Well, I guess nobody has been able to answer that question

Unnsse Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks!

Cool deal! You guys made me feel a lot better... I never posted the "Why are Macs better than PCs" in a forum, I e-mailed James Duncan Davidson (inventor of Ant and lead architect for Tomcat), directly. I met him at the JavaOne Conference (2003). He was kind of enough to answer my question on his blog, located at:

http://x180.net/

The reason it appears in a bunch of other forums is because people have the link to Mr. Davidson's RSS feed.

All the best,

Unnsse Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mr. Friedman-Hill:

How is "e-mail" considered public? Do you mean hackers intercepting it using packet sniffing? Or do you mean that the person you e-mail it to can print it out or forward it to other people?

With thanks,

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Unnsse Khan:
How is "e-mail" considered public? Do you mean hackers intercepting it using packet sniffing? Or do you mean that the person you e-mail it to can print it out or forward it to other people?

Obviously I can't read Ernest's mind, but I believe he is referring to the fact that the email you send is traveling through dozens of servers along the way unencrypted and can be picked up by anyone with access (legitimate or not) to those servers. While it is generally illegal to read someone else's mail, that doesn't prevent someone from posting your writings on the web etc. And it doesn't matter much if that someone gets fined for what he did -- once it's public, it's public.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
While it is generally illegal to read someone else's mail, that doesn't prevent someone from posting your writings on the web etc. And it doesn't matter much if that someone gets fined for what he did -- once it's public, it's public.

I don't actually think there are any such laws, but regardless: first, yes, it can be intercepted, but more importantly, the recipient can share it, and the recipient's employer may own the server it's on and thus has full rights to read, distribute, or otherwise use it.

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do e-mails ever get lost or is the infamous excuse "the cheque's in the post"
now definitely unusable ? i.e. e-mails have a higher reliability.

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
I don't actually think there are any such laws, but regardless: first, yes, it can be intercepted, but more importantly, the recipient can share it, and the recipient's employer may own the server it's on and thus has full rights to read, distribute, or otherwise use it.

I guess it depends on the legislation. In Finland, it is illegal for an employer to read an employee's private email from her inbox or from the server logs (in practice, the employer is expected to recognize from the message's subject whether it's private or not). The same goes with publishing a private email exchange -- if you do it, you risk being litigated against in court.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
I'm not saying this to be cruel, but I'm just taking the opportunity to mention a lesson that everyone who uses the Internet needs to learn: email, Usenet, and forums like JavaRanch are public. Don't do anything electronically that you wouldn't do in the middle of a public square. Be kind to people. Be honest. Be helpful. Be decent. Be smart.

This is probably one of the main reasons why MD had a lot of agro a while back - people were saying things that they probably wouldn't say if having a face-to-face conversation in public. Writing posts as if you are in a public place is not just good for stopping you look silly, but good for encouraging civil interaction.

Joe King
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:

Obviously I can't read Ernest's mind, but I believe he is referring to the fact that the email you send is traveling through dozens of servers along the way unencrypted and can be picked up by anyone with access (legitimate or not) to those servers. While it is generally illegal to read someone else's mail, that doesn't prevent someone from posting your writings on the web etc. And it doesn't matter much if that someone gets fined for what he did -- once it's public, it's public.

As you can't specify the route that an email takes when going from A to B, you've got no idea which countries its gone through on the way. Who knows what the email privacy rules are in Syria? Its probably also a good practice to ensure that your current employer can see every web page you look at, every post made on a forum and every email sent..... Big Brother* is watching you!

* No, not the crud tv show, but a Stalinesque Orwell character.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Emails do get lost...mainly due to problems in the mail server....in fact i have seen it happening with office mail server, with gmail and with mail.com !!

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joe King:

This is probably one of the main reasons why MD had a lot of agro a while back - people were saying things that they probably wouldn't say if having a face-to-face conversation in public. Writing posts as if you are in a public place is not just good for stopping you look silly, but good for encouraging civil interaction.

Indeed.

Helen Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joe King:

As you can't specify the route that an email takes when going from A to B, you've got no idea which countries its gone through on the way. Who knows what the email privacy rules are in Syria? Its probably also a good practice to ensure that your current employer can see every web page you look at, every post made on a forum and every email sent..... Big Brother* is watching you!

* No, not the crud tv show, but a Stalinesque Orwell character.

This reminds me of a little enclave of Baarle-Hertog near the Dutch border. It's 5,000+ parcels of land are split into the towncalled Baarle-Hertog and the rest are in Baarle-Nassau.

Houses on the opposite side of the street or even those attached can be in different countries.House numberplates have either a Netherland flag or Belgian flag. The local governments have offices 200 yards from each other run their own towns and the policw patrol their own towns.

A Belgian sending a letter to his Dutch neighbour using a Belgian post-box would be picked up by his Belgian postman taken to the nearest big town, Turnhout which is in Belgium proper, and re-directed to Brussels. From there it would be flown to Amsterdam and sent on to the post-man in Baarle-Nassau where a Dutch post-man would deliver it down the street (probably as the Belgian postman who picked it up was walking past).

The Belgian poster would in reality have posted it in a Dutch post-box which would have been delivered by local mail.

The situation arose from political ties that go back to the 12th century.
It's quite interesting. Godfrid of Schoten gave the land to the Duke of Brabant.The duke loaned out some land, gave some to the Counts of Nassau and some back to Godfrid, keeping all the inhabited land for himself. With time his land ended up in the ownership of Belgium while the others were lands belonging to Netherlands. In World War I the town was not invaded by the Germans because some of it belonged to then neutral Netherlands.

Seems to me here's something for delivers of e-mail to learn from.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

yes, email occasionally gets lost or seriously delayed.
The longest I've had an email be in transit ever was over a month (though that was in 1998, the virtual stone age).

Email is more reliable than postal mail (which in this country has an average failure rate of 5%+) but isn't perfect.
Mailservers can crash just after receiving your message but after giving a delivery report causing the data to be lost for example.
But such conditions are exceedingly rare.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic