• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sun's ePractive Certification Exam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello java ranchers. I'm currently preparing for Sun's programmer exam. Sun has the ePractice Certification Exam for the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4 (WGS-PREX-J035B) which cost $75. Has anybody here used this and is it worth the money? I'm also looking at other commercial products such as jqplus which i heard is very good.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have sent u an private message. Please view & reply it by clicking on My Profile link of Java Ranch..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Private messages don't help anyone else; I'd like to know, too.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please, I would like to know too if the tests are worth the money.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gary Wang:
Please, I would like to know too if the tests are worth the money.

In many cases, I'm sure that the exams you can buy are a good investment, but I think a better way to spend your money is to buy a good book and do some of the free exams, like Dan's or Val's. Just take a look at this page for a list of mock exams.
This isn't mean to be a hack on the commercial exams at all - I'm sure they're excellent - I just feel that there are lots of quality free exams out there, as well.
Corey

dennis zined
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

In many cases, I'm sure that the exams you can buy are a good investment, but I think a better way to spend your money is to buy a good book and do some of the free exams, like Dan's or Val's. Just take a look at this page for a list of mock exams.

Hello javaranchers! I totally agree. I do have Kathy's book and from Philip/Simon and am also trying out the mock exams here. But I would like to try exams from different sources as much as possible including commercialized ones.
Hi Garrett/Gary, the private message was not an answer to my question and I'm still waiting on someone's experiences on Sun's exam website. If I do get feedback outside javaranch, i'll post it here.
thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am currently using the Sun 1.4 $75 mock exam. There are three mock exams. They still have errors in them, even though Sun ( and the authors ) have been informed some time ago. But spotting the mistakes is also an education right?
In form they are close to Marcus Green's and the Sierra/Bates mock examinations.
I need the certification to stick up a Human Resources type's A**, and I needed to build up my exam taking confidence (it's more than 30 years since my university maths degree) so I was prepared to pay the $75. It's hard to say whether they were worth the money, I'll let you know right soon now.
-Barry

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, I promised to get back on this after my SCJP attempt. Yes, Sun's ePractice example exams are very close in form to the actual exam. Some of the real exam questions are a little more difficult than the practice exams, but with a little extra turbocharged thought applied to them, they're crackable.
I had more problems with the noisy "class room" environment in which I had to take the exam, than with the questions. It's difficult to concentrate on those nasty do-while, if, break, continue, post/pre increment "guess what this does" type of questions when there's too much activity in the examination room.
Oh yes, the cost. US$ 75 is about 40% of the local price of the exam for me, I was prepared to pay that for the confidence boost I obtained in the 5 days prior to the exam. It was also a bit like an insurance premium, US$ 75 is less than the cost of a retake.
If you are on a low budget, then Marcus Green's mocks and those in the Sierra/Bates book are adequate after reading and digesting a "serious" book like "The Java Programming Language" by Gosling, et al.
My recommendation is "Take your time, don't cram it, digest it".

dennis zined
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a bunch Barry!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I second that opinion... thanks Barry.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic