• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which study guide to use?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have an old certification guide called "The Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide" by Simon Roberts, Philip Heller and Michael Ernest which is more for the 1.2 exam than the 1.4 exam. I just want to know if it's necessary to buy a new guide.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the JavaRanch Kathy.
If your employer is willing to pay for a new book then I would say that it is necessary. If you have to pay for the book yourself, then I would say that it is optional. A lot of people passed the 1.4 certification before any of the new study guides were available. I'm sure that you can also. Just ignore the chapters on AWT and IO.
The difference between 1.2 and 1.4 is as follows.
The 1.4 exam removes the AWT and IO topics but adds assertions and a couple new classes in the collections framework--LinkedHashMap and LinkedHashSet. The wrapper classes and the Object.hashCode and Object.equals methods are further emphasized in 1.4.
Everything that you need to know about assertions is available in the document Programming with Assertions.
For more information, please see the objectives for the 1.4 version of the exam.

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And check the JavaRanch newsletter for articles on asserions. (Sept 2002 edition, I think.)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kathy
Well I also have the same book you are reffering to and I am also planning to give the same new exam. Though i agree with Dan that the old book may be good for passing the exam but if possible I would sugeest that you get your hands on the Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates book. I also bought the book and to me its its worth the price. Also do give the mock exams and i would suggest the Dan's and Marcus Green's exams would be a great help. Though Dan questions are considered a little tougher that the actual exam. But the answers are provided alongwith a good explanation.
[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Anupam Sinha ]

Kathy Wong
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic