• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

switch stmt

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
One think about preparing for the certification exam. It has got me "nit-picking" everything about the java programming language. May be I should just say, "It works that way because the inventors wanted it to work that way", but I don't. What I do is ask people why, or post to places like this. Sorry about that rant......
My latest "why" question. Why does the switch stmt skip the body of case arguments until it "matches" the switch condition and then execute code in all case bodies' until the end of the loop. See example:
char c = 1;
switch (c) {
default:
System.out.println("case default");
case 1:
System.out.println("case 1");
case 2:
System.out.println("case 2");
case 3:
System.out.println("case 3");
} // end switch
In the code above the default case is skipped, but case 1-3 is executed. What is the point of skipping until a hit, but then executing all the remaining cases? I know the break can be used, but it still bothers me.
Thanks,
Erik

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by E Weibust:
What is the point of skipping until a hit, but then executing all the remaining cases? I know the break can be used, but it still bothers me.
Thanks,
Erik

Blame it on C and its derivative C++.
I guess the developers of Java want to retain some of the popular aspects of C, which is a popular language at that time. If you were to compare the two, you will notice a number of similarities, such as: if, while, do, for, break statements, the use of curly braces, the method declaration, arrays, and many more.
[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Alton Hernandez ]
[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Alton Hernandez ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I understood correctly, the default case is first, but of course it is not executed unless the other cases match. Actually, I find that a little confusing, because you can traverse all the cases and if no match occurs, then you jump up the the default statement at the top and then go down again. Better to put the default case at the bottom in practice.
The advantage of having it "fall through" let's you have one piece of code work for multiple cases by utiliziation the fall-through behavior.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Think of it that way:
Suppose you are testing your switch for a variable age.
If age is 18 something happens. If age is 21, something else happens PLUS what happens for age = 21. What would you do ? If it werent for the fall thru schema, you would have to repeat the code inside case 18 also for the case 21 right ? Adding the "must insert break " rule, you can create a case 21 doing its unique stuff and not add a break, and then include the case 18 stuff with a break. When case is 18 only the case 18 code will be executed. When age is 21, both pieces of code will be executed.
Hope that helps,

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It also gives you the ability to do this:
switch (i) {
case 1:
case 2:
case 3:
case 4: //do something then break
case 5:
case 6:
case 7:
case 8: // do something else then break

E Weibust
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok. Fair enough. What I take from all of this is the main benefit of the "fall through" feature is that you can run multiple case blocks when your expression equals only one case.
Thanks...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: leo donahue ]

It's never done THAT before. Explain it to me tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic