• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

shift operators

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm having a hard time with this topic; more specifically, I'm having a hard time doing these problems quickly. Where can I get more practice on this topic?
Thanks.
Mansi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
consult ur textbook. preferrably k&b, then do some practise @ www.javacertificate.com.
cheers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mansi,
It helps to practice with converting decimals of all bases into binary first of all. Hope, you know ways of converting numbers. Most used numbers like -128,127,-1, Integer.MAX_VALUE and Integer.MIN_VALUE is nice to learn by heart, at least, their hex and binary representation. When doing signed right shift, you divide the original number by 2 to the power of bits to shift and take the int portion, unless that number is multiple of 32 (or 64 for long numbers). 51>>2 = 0011 0011 >> 2= 0000 1100 = 12
Left shift - you multiply the original number by 2 to the power of shifted bits (unless it's multiple of 32 or 64). Unsigned right shift is a bit trickier for negative numbers - it may result in big positive numbers:

The result is 2147483647.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic