• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Newbee...needs advise

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all...
I have had a brief encounter with java and j2ee(have programmed a bit), now want to enter into this field big time, i know there are a lot of ppl in this field already, it means more ppl to help me out.

I will take any adivse u would liek to share regarding ceritifcation, how to approach it, and what all resources are available, and what would be the resonable about of time for each of the vertifications SCJP and SCWCD.

I also came acros http://www.whizlabs.com who sell mock exams, please give me an idea if busying material is atall useful, or should i find plenty on hte web, I wanted to give my selfs a month for SCJP, would that be sufficient, and what would be a resonable time for SCWCD.

please share any time plan, or exam stratergies u found helpful.

am looking forward to participating in javaranch in a big way.

regards
bhagath

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi
Well i wuld advice that u start by buying a certification textbook. You must first decide which of the scjp u wuld like to write, currently there are two, scjp 1.2 and scjp 1.4. The book u buy depends on what u decide to take. Then the next step would be to practice as much code as u can with ur compiler while reading the book, dont be scared of trying out things with the compiler, trust me the stranger the better. Just get used to the error messages and any other type of output. Join a forum(like this one) and any other java forums, they are very helpful to learning about topics. Try out the various free mock site like www.jchq.net,www.jdiscuss.com,www.javacertificate.com and u can also get links to other sites with www.javaranch.com/mock.jsp. Well i guess this wuld help, i am also still preparing and will soon take mine. Good luck.
Saheed.
SCJP 1.4(coming real soon).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And of course check out our teriffic faq which answers many of your questions:
http://www.javaranch.com/certfaq.jsp

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic