• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How many days is needed for scjp1.4 preparation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi everybody
iam a employee in a small organisation.i would like to know with in how many days i can prepare for scjp1.4 and with in how many days i can take the exam.i dont have that much knowledge on java so i want to know days i can prepare for the certification exam?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That depends.

Are you an expert in any language?

Are you an expert in any C family (C, C++, Pascal, etc.) language?

How good are you at sight-checking your source programs so they compile clean the first time?

The JSCP exam is a language lawyer's delight which emphasizes obscure language details and proofreading programs for errors that only a test constructor would make and only a compiler would find. It tests for Java expertise under time pressure, not just competence.

If you are not yet a Java expert, you should study a Java SCJP review book like K&B:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072226846/jr%5Fbunk-20/103-7731859-1031869
cover to cover, then do as many mock exams as possible:
http://www.javaranch.com/gramps/SCJPLinks.jsp

Early in this process, you'll be able to estimate the time you'll need. The conventional wisdom is that you should be getting over 80% on the mock exams before attempting the real exam.

Good luck!
[ December 28, 2004: Message edited by: Mike Gershman ]

bronco
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
At the risk of sounding high-and-mighty (for lake of a better word), I don't think someone who's just starting out with Java should be focused on getting certified. The exam is intended for people with at least 6 months of experience with the language.

Focus first on really learning the language (and OO concepts in general) and using it to write software. Once you feel comfortable creating real Java programs, it will make sense to focus on the things you might not have learned yet that are covered on the exam.

If you start studying for the exam from ground zero, I think it will be pretty overwhelming (especially for the Tiger exam). To pass the exam, you really need to have the fundamentals DOWN so that you quickly recognize things that are incorrect. I actually believe that there is plenty of time to complete the exam if you know your stuff.

Just my $0.02.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
it depends how much time you spend to cram the exam. As for me, i spent 2 months, 3-4 hours per day to prepare to the exam. I've been following the instruction in this forum which helps me alot in my preparation.

Wish you all best luck

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been working on and off on it for about 2 years. I must admit that weeks go by that I have no time for study or practice exams but then I work fulltime with Java and have since 1999 (1.1 back then of course).
Even with that experience there's still things in the exam books that surprises me, things I never encounter(ed) in real life.

I feel I'm just about ready now, just need the time to sit down and do some serious practice exams and cramming the nitty gritty details that are important to the exam but rarely encountered in real life.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic