• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

finally clause is almost always executed, even if there is a return statement

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I was not expecting this , thought of sending it to all who dont know that

"finally clause is almost always executed, even if there is a return statement in the catch block."

Taken from
.Marcus Green : Question 15

Question 15)
What will be output if you try to compile and run the following code, but there is
no file called Hello.txt in the current directory?.

1) No such file found
2 No such file found ,-1
3) No such file found, Doing finally, -1
4) 0

Ans is 3
[ December 29, 2004: Message edited by: Swapnil Sapar ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well, actually the answer would be "none of the above" because the output that is generated does not contain commas but line breaks

But indeed, finally is executed before a return statement in the try or catch.
Just about the only exception (no pun intended) is System.exit() which will cause immediate termination of the JVM and skipping of the finally blocks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeroen

But indeed, finally is executed before a return statement in the try or catch.

According K&B's book on Page 238, "the finally block exceutes right *after* the return statement.

So is it *before* or *after*? From the output it looks like the finally block goes before the return statement. I checked errata of the book and there is nothing for this.

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suspect that the K&B (Sierra/Bates) book is implying that the finally block is effectively triggered by the return statement, i.e. no more of the code in that block will execute after the return statement, so execution moves to the code within finally.

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Richard Vagner":

Welcome to JavaRanch. Please take a look at our display name policy and edit your display name to something not obviously fictitious. Hint: Giuseppe Verdee would not work either.

As for your comments: well I wouldn't call the K&B statement an error exactly, it's just a bit incomplete. The return -1 statement is read and executed, in the sense that the return value of -1 has been set - but the return isn't fully completed until the finally has also been processed. The way I think of it, part of the return -1 has been executed, but not all of it. Consider this alternative:

Here the return value is 0, not -1. That's because the return 0 is executed after the return -1. Think of it this way - when a return statement is executed, the JVM saves the return value (as the value that the JVM plans to return, if it doesn't receive other instructions in a finally block). A return statement always is subject to being countermanded later in a finally block. If the finally block doesn't have another return statement, or throw some other exception, then after the finally block executes, the JVM will return whatever value it saved back when the original return was first executed.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic