• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Just a beginner! Help please

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everybody. I'm glad to find such a nice forum n beeing a member of it. It's really great cooperation from u all. I'm just a beginner to java n had no experiance in any other field. I'd like to take java certification. Here r my doubts
1. I'm preparing Java2: the complete reference(5th edition) to learn the basics. I'm confusrd that how many chapters should i cover from the book for SCJP exam... I'm really trying to figure it out but,could n't .
2. Had any one cleared exam before wothout having any job exp n knowing java(I mean starting as a beginner). b'coz i red from tis forum, some ppl suggested not to take the exam as a beginner as it is longway to go.

I'm planning to give the exam in 3 months studying abt 4 to 5 hrs a day.. Is it possible Please help me.
Any kind of suggestions would be appriciated.
Thanyou

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome, Kranthi,

You certainly can pass the SCJP exam without any previous experience with Java. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend it. Studying for the SCJP exam will teach you many things that you can do with Java but not all are things that you really should do with Java. As such, I don't consider studying for the SCJP certification to be the best way to learn good Java fundamentals.

I'd suggest starting from scratch and learning the basics of Java and learn to create some simple Java applications. Try to get some fundamentals down and then decide if you want to pursue our SCJP certification. In my opinion, an SCJP certification coupled with plenty of previous experience is much more useful than an SCJP certification with no practical experience.

I hope you enjoy your stay here at the Ranch.
[ March 02, 2005: Message edited by: Corey McGlone ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic