• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Doubt regarding getClass() and equals()

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

Please let me know if the following statement is true or false (and of course, why)

If a.equals(b), then a.getClass == b.getClass()

{ I think it is true i checked out some examples as well, but the Whizlabs simulator disagrees }

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Please let me know if the following statement is true or false (and of course, why)

If a.equals(b), then a.getClass == b.getClass()

HI Prasad

while running this program it shows compiler error saying incomparable types: java.lang.String and java.lang.Class

BUt when u comment line 2, line 1 displays true......

I hope this may be a reason...........?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is not necessarily true in all cases. Consider a class that I write...

Now, if I ask an instance of "EqualsEverything" if it's equal to an instance of String, it will return true. But, their classes are not equal.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No it is not true, and does not form part of the contract.
However, checking the type with something other that the class might break symmetry (which does form part of the contract). However, this problem will never occur if you declare all classes final (since a non-final class implies a serious design flaw).

James Carman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tony Morris:
(since a non-final class implies a serious design flaw).[/QB]

What? That's an interesting statement. Care to back that up? By that rationale, the java.lang.Object class should be final, no?
[ May 06, 2005: Message edited by: James Carman ]

Tony Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What? That's an interesting statement. Care to back that up? By that rationale, the java.lang.Object class should be final, no?

I've tossed around the idea of writing a book, since I'd like to present this topic (and more) in such a way that even the most ignorant audience would 'see the light'.

Before that though, I plan to refute the poor job that Allen Holub has done in his presentation, where he tries to present the truth but undermines the entire value of it. This bothers me in that although I know that concrete inheritance is a serious design flaw, I acknowledge that a lot of others don't (despite being obvious given all the facts). That is, a lot of people have blindly followed this doctrine that has been taught for years, and others have tried to present the truth, but never in a way (that I feel) portrays the entire subject.

"Why extends is evil" (if you're game)
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-08-2003/jw-0801-toolbox.html

I am currently writing an article titled, "Why extends is not evil. A refutation of the article presented by Allen Holub, titled 'Why extends is evil'". I will publish this article on http://www.jtiger.org/ under the articles section. Time permitting (like usual). Keep watching I guess.

I just reread and noticed your comment on java.lang.Object. You're correct, Java is intrinsically broken. That is, even if you were to rewrite the entire core API, you would be tied to concrete behaviour (since java.lang.Object exposes non-final methods).
[ May 06, 2005: Message edited by: Tony Morris ]

Tony Morris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://www.jtiger.org/articles/why-extends-is-not-evil.html

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic