• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Poll: Do JSF and Struts need their own forums?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There has been some discussion as to whether or not Struts and JSF need to be pulled out of Web Application Frameworks and put into their own seperate forums. The traffic would suggest that at the very least Struts could survive on it's own. So what does everyone else think? Do you like it the way it is or do we need to extract these 2 frameworks into their own places?

As an example we might have forums like this:

Struts
JavaServer Faces
Other Open Source Web Application Frameworks

blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I still see a need for a general "Web Application Frameworks" forum - note, not "other" - in the "Engineering" section for discussions about the pros and cons of using various frameworks and the background information on what these frameworks are and how they work.

If the nuts and bolts questions on how to use Struts justifies it, I could see adding a "Struts" forum - in the "Products" section, not under "Engineering".

Even if a Struts forum is added I'd still avoid having a separate forum for the nuts and bolts of using JSF until the JSF specific traffic justified it. When it did get added, it might go under "Java" rather than "Products", since it logically belongs in the same section as JSP.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A seperate forum for Struts will work fine, though don't feel the same for JSF.

bronco
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd really like to see separate forums for both Struts and JSF. JSF is becoming part of the J2EE spec...it's bound to grow, so why wait? Sun's JSF forum gets quite a bit of traffic (many new posts per day), so there's definitely the potential.

[for more selfish reasons, I find it a hassle to wade through all the other web framework stuff to find the JSF-related stuff]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would also like to see Struts and JSF as separate forums. However, where would you put a question on using JSF WITH Struts?

Dave Wood
bronco
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Erin Goettl:
I would also like to see Struts and JSF as separate forums. However, where would you put a question on using JSF WITH Struts?

In the "Web Application Frameworks: General" forum?

...the other option would be to put it on the forum where it seemed most appropriate...if you're mainly building a JSF app and you want to use some struts thing, that's probably a JSF question (i.e. people using only struts are less likely to be able to help)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There needs to be two separate forums. They are both separate technologies, JSF is bound to overtake Struts as soon as it catches on and like someone else said its becoming a part of the J2EE spec, you can't argue with that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I vote for seperation...

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You guys might want to take another look at our current list of forums. Or just read this announcement. Enjoy.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It would only lead to more crossposts and moved posts.
As it is about half the posts in the JSP and servlet forums are about Struts or otherwise incorrectly placed...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic