• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ready to take the exam?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm currently preparing for my second try on the SCJP 1.4 exam. I failed about a year ago scoring 50%

I think I failed the first time because of taking too few mock exams. I only studied one book and took the questions provided in the book which was far too easy compared to the real test. This time I have focused on taking both Dans mock exam questions and preparing with the Whizlab exam simulator.

I'v taken 6 practice exams in Whizlab exam simulator scoring about 40/61 on these tests. Does this mean that I'm ready or should I complete all practice exams and score a bit higher? It's a bit hard to know when you are ready or not.

greatful for any advice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you feel CONFIDENT?
2/3 is a tad low but may be enough. Some realworld experience rather than just academic study would help a lot.

You seem to focus only on learning for the exam for the sake of passing the exam rather than because you're genuinely interested.
That's the wrong attitude.

Bob Mel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have about 5 years of "realworld" experience working with Java, but I don't think that this helps so much on this exam. I am taking this exam so I can proceed taking some of the more specified exams like web components.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
its nice to hear that you have experienced working with java.
you said a year ago you failed SCJP? its okay. failure is the start of successful. make sure you ready enough, then you can go for test. as you said that you have prepared with mock tests, also 40 out of 61, i guess you are ready. does not matter you score 100% or lower or even 60% ,you still pass. as long as you get certified and you ARE qualified because you have working experience with java.

so, all the best....

waiting to hear your result.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm finally part of the club...yeh!(I just passed last Wednesday!) Bob, definitely review Marcus Green's mock exam's via http://www.javaranch.com/mock.jsp (you'll have to sift through the questions that are not pertinent to the exam)

I scored weakest on the threads section so just make sure you're really confident in that...at least for me it seemed like a variation of this type showed up once every four questions.

Although not complete...transcender.com and Selftest software has demo questions that reflect the difficulty of the exam. It's free and just gives you that much more of an idea of what's going to be out there.

My last word of advice...don't drink too much water during the exam. The last half hour on was concentrating more on not going to the little Wranglers room than the test itself!

You can do it though! If I can ... anybody can! Study tough!

Nicky Eng
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Honorius Gulmatico,

javaranch.com is not a "club"... :roll:

well, nice to hear you passed it. YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Me never drink water during the exam or before the exam. cos i know i will go toilet a lot within 2 hours.

so what's your next cert?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bob,
You are my kind of guy. I like the gut,that of quitters never
win and winners never quit.
Ok, take my words, those scores arn't good enough, if you must score
high in the exams. Try and take a look at K & B questions, there are close
to the real stuff. You can send me your e-mail add. I still have some questions that i carved out for myself b4 my exams.
my e-mail : mimoh_mi@yahoo.com
just remember the "Winners don't quit "
All the best.

SCJP 1.4

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
mimoh_mi@yahoo.com, pls I've booked for SCJP 1.4 for next week and presently going through Dan's objective wise mock questions and hope to also go through Marcus Green questions b4 the exam. I'll be glad if you can send me the K & B questions you mention below.

my email is oyeniyi_joy@yahoo.com

Bob Mel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you, for your response. I took the Marcus Green 1.4 exam today and scored 82% (49/60). I will keep on studying for two more weeks and focus on the Whizlab practice exams. Hopefully I will be ready for the test by the end of next week.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic