• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sticky: SCJP 1.5

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ok listen up,
first you'll be asked to take a survey
and act as if you "know hardly anything about java" I tried to be a good programmer and regret it.

Time was ample, I had 50 minutes to spare after rechecking.

Cover generic collections THOROUGHLY (You're in trouble if you're not sure which declarations will work for what methods)

Cover Garbage colletion very FINELY

Cover threads very DEEPLY

java.util.text, as Bert said, important constructors and methods.

And don't you go ignoring access modifiers just because some T,D or H told you. There were questions that had me blinking for a couple of minutes before the right solution struck me.

Get Serialization/Deserialization very clearly

Make hierarchy charts for Exceptions, Collections, I/O classes <<they help like hell.

Cover Exception Handling with a lot of emphasis on flow control

Don't get rattled by heavy words like coupling, cohesion etc, if you know english and have good common sense, you can do it.

Cover I/O well, do a lot of strean wrapping examples and remember which methods belong where.

Do your JLS examples too, many were minor modifications.

TIP: Even if your sure about your answer, just look at the options and just try to see how they might fit, it happens that u might accidentally hit upon the right one and realize it only later.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, Akshay - this is really helpful.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

first you'll be asked to take a survey
and act as if you "know hardly anything about java" I tried to be a good programmer and regret it.

The survey has absolutely nothing to do with the questions that you get on the test. All the questions are the same degree of difficulty.

Mark

Akshay Kiran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

The survey has absolutely nothing to do with the questions that you get on the test. All the questions are the same degree of difficulty.

Mark

Hi Mark, I didn't say that such was the case. But just in case...its always better to play it a bit safe. It gets on your psychological side though

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Akshay Kiran:

Hi Mark, I didn't say that such was the case. But just in case...its always better to play it a bit safe. It gets on your psychological side though

No need to do that just in case.

Actually, the survey is used to later to determine if a question should be removed from all the tests because it is either too tough or too hard.

So let's say you fill out the questionaire as an expert, and all the "experts, others that filled out the survey as experts, get a particular question wrong, and everyone else gets that question wrong that question will be deleeted from the question database. But those same experts get a question right and Middle to beginners all get it wrong and that question is marked as an expert question, then it is ranked correctly and stays.

If that same question is marked as an easy question and only experts get it right, then it can be changed to be an expert question.

The same happens the other way around, if you said you are a beginner and everyone else did the same, and those expert questions were answered correctly, then it stays, and lots of peoplpe will get that question because it is marked as easy now.

So no matter what you will get an weight number of level of questions, no matter what you answer in your survey, but the bad thing that could happen is when you say you are a beginner and your not, more expert questions will be asked more often to all candidates.

Hope that helps.

The survey only affects the ranking a question gets, and not the questions you will get.

Mark

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Akshay,

I am a new to this groups and I am planning to take the certification. Can you tell me what JLS is? and where can I find the JLS examples?

"Do your JLS examples too, many were minor modifications"

Thanks.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Vids Vids:
... Can you tell me what JLS is? and where can I find the JLS examples? ...

The Java Language Specification (JLS) - 3rd Edition contains several examples.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic