• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Upgrade Exam (CX-310-056)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I passed this year the SCJP 1.4 & SCWCD exams. Thinking about upgrading to 5.0. Is it worth the effort (and 100$) or still better wait? Any suggestion?

Would you suggest the new Habibi book for the upgrade exam? Or better study a general Tiger book tailored to 1.4 developer as "Java 1.5 Tiger: A Developer's Notebook" by O'Reilly?

Thanks for your help

Renato
renatoweb@arsenio.it
Arsenio.it

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I took the -055 test last week. Most of my studying consisted of a book targeted at the 1.4 exam and the practice questions in the game on this site. That was not enough and I ended up failing the test.

I never took the 1.4 exam, so I don't have much of a way to compare it. The 055 exam includes "Task" questions. In the task questions you have to drag and drop code into place, kind of like a fill in the blanks thing, but with multiple blanks.

The bad thing about these task questions is that if you mark them to go back and look at them again it will prompt you saying that if you open the task question it will be cleared and you have to start over. My advice on these is to skip them entirely until the end, because doing the task and marking them is a waste of time if you plan on looking at it again.

I was worried about being able to remember things like bit shifting and how to translate hex and such, because I never use that sort of thing in my daily programming. None of that was on the test.

I had never seen auto boxing and unboxing, that's either new or I completely glossed over it.

There were questions about localization of dates.

There were questions about generic collections with a notation something like ArrayList<myObject> and notation involving question marks like Collection<? extends E>.

There was a question involving the differences between StringBuilder and StringBuffer.

I have now picked up the "Complete Java 2 Certification 5th edition" by Phil Heller and Simon Roberts, a Sybex book. Hopefully this will get me through the test correctly next time.

Good luck.

Renato Losio
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
> I have now picked up the "Complete Java 2 Certification 5th edition" by Phil > Heller and Simon Roberts, a Sybex book.

Ok, thanks for your advice!

Renato

If you believe you can tell me what to think, I believe I can tell you where to go. Go read this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic