• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Help for SCJP required

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am planning to takeup SCJP exam. I am currently working on Java platform. So, kindly tell me what is the optimum time reuired for preparation?

Also, I am currently refering the book "Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide". Is it sufficient?

Also tell me which is the best site to refer to the FAQ's and Mock tests.

Thanks in Advance..

Cheers,
Abhishek
[ February 02, 2006: Message edited by: Abhishek SN ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Abhishek,
There are lots of posts and valuable suggestions related to the same query in this group. Give up sometime in browsing thru the list to get your answer.

Thanks,
Jitender.

Abhishek SN
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jitender,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen almost all the topics.. But, i wanted Feedback for the book I am referring to and what is the optimum time required for preparation for a guy working on Java platform.. I guess you didnt get the question right..

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Abhishek

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is a very difficult to answer question without knowing more about your background. It also varies wildly from person to person. So for example I find learning new technical information very difficult and need to read a page several times and then answer some questions before I am likely to understand it. Some people (it seems) can read a page of technical text once and seem to grasp it. Many years ago Sun used to recommend around 6 months of study, but I think that was on the basis that you did not know a great deal at the start.

It is important to be aware that people who are experienced and good Java programmers may fail the exam because they do not study the exam specific topics. Thus you might be an experienced and knowlegable programmer who knows everything about JSP and EJB but come undone on the exam when it asks you questions about the platform dependent and indeterminate nature of Threading and the details of the new Generic collection classes. But you have an exam specific book so you should be OK on that front.

But for a simple answer..... 3 to 6 months.
Marcus
[ February 03, 2006: Message edited by: Marcus Green ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Originally quoted by Abhishek SN

Also tell me which is the best site to refer to the FAQ's and Mock tests.

You are on the best site...

Abhishek SN
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Marcus & Ram for your replies...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Abhishek: You probably already know this but I just want to clarify - you mentioned the book "Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide". That's for SCJP 1.4. If you are going to take the latest test SCJP 1.5, you will want to use the book "Sun Certified Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide ISBN 0072253606. Just drop the Developer part from the title and you'd be alight. I made the mistake of ordering the wrong book online because the similarity of the title and caused me delay, so I just want to add this clarification.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic