• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Certification expiry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.

I've recently started studying for the 1.5 exam so expect to hear a lot of questions/whining from me in the near future.

A few years ago I started studying for the exam, part way through that the exam was changed (all the GUI stuff was dropped) and they also introduced a 2 year (I think) expiry to the certification status.

I gave up anyway because of other commitments but I'm determined to see it through this time.

Anyway my FIRST question is ....Does this expiry still exist? I can't seem to find reference to it on the Sun website.

Sorry about the user name/display name, I tried dozens of unlikely combinations before I found a unique one they'd let me sign in with!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have one year for the voucher to expire from purchase date. So if you purchase the voucher today, you have until apr 12, 2007 to give the exam.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually he is asking about the certification after you have gotten it, not the voucher.

Yes, there is still a "two" year expiration on the certification. But, no matter what, you can always say, "I passed the SCJP 1.5 exam" 10, 20, 30 years from now and it still be true.

Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to http://www.sun.com/training/certification/faq/index.html
They got rid of the expiration.

What is Sun's new Certification Policy?
Beginning with all Sun certification exams taken on or after August 1, 2003, certification offerings from Sun no longer have an expiration date. Rather, certification offerings are based on a version of technology. The certification date and exam version will appear on both a certificate and an identification card with the applicable certification title.

Recertification is no longer required to maintain one's status as a certified professional. Sun certification is now directly associated with a version of technology. Nevertheless, Sun highly recommends that you remain certified at the most current technology version.

When will the Certification Policy take effect?
The new Certification Policy will take effect on August 1, 2003.

David A. Scott
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ahhh so it's more like your certification lasts forever but it's very much for the "current version". So in 2050 when Java 1.5's looking a little tired ...

Thanks for that.

I'm off to do some studying...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic