• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is SCJP right for me?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

I am hoping you can give me some advice regarding whether I should do SCJP?

Here is my situation:
  • About to complete Masters in Software Engineering (with grade Merit or Distrinction).
  • Just completed a BSc Computing degree and was awarded a 1st.
  • No industry experience whatsoever.

• I am about to start applying for jobs but all programming vacancies seem to require experience.

A guy on my Masters works in IT management and he said that the lack of experience would be less of a problem if I have the Programmer and Developer certifications. As a student I have very little funds available, and don't want to spend the money if it's not going to make me more employable.

So, to get to the point: given my situation, will the SCJP make me more attractive to employers or are my current qualifications sufficient?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Thanks,

C Nicoll
    [ May 08, 2006: Message edited by: C Nicoll ]

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi there! Been there and done that. I used to be a poor grad student and spent ca$h on the certification. That was about 5 yrs back.
    In my experience the SCJP is one of the nice to have things and not a must have, especially if you have a Master's in CS and have meritorious record in your bachelor's and master's.
    When you make it to the interview, the company that's looking to hire you will definitely do a lot of their own testing so the SCJP isn't all that important. One thing's for certain: no one will hire you based on the SCJP; it's just one of a large number of factors that determine whether or not you get the job.
    In my personal experience I haven't found it to be a useful thing to have.
    Others experience might differ and you could end up with a totally different advice.
    In short, it's a nice to have but it may or may not enhance your chance at getting a job.
    If you're short on funds (as befits a grad student), I'd say go ahead and hold onto that dough but do make sure that you arm yourself with the knowledge needed to crack the interviews.
    Good luck!
    Sashi

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi,

Yes, SCJP will make you more attractive once it is a well accepted certificate. However it proves only that you have an advanced knowledge about the language. You can increase your chances participating in some open-source project. It can give you a concrete experience in a real world project.

Leonardo Luiz

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    The exam is one of those buzz words that search engines picks up on monster, hotjobs, ..... Also several consulting agencies that interviewed me specifically found my certifications attractive. It is a selling point for thier company to thier customers. Currently I am finding more full time jobs for consulting.

I would say the exam is good for anyone that does not have alot of development experience.

The exams also keep one learning fairly new java tech.
    Ok you may not master it all, but you can atleast not look like an idiot when talking.

C Nicoll
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I have decided to purchase the Sierra and Bates book and start studying for the certification, using the mock exams to assess my progress. When I feel ready, I will book the exam.

Thanks again,

C Nicoll
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic