• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A New SCJP Study Guide Released

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know that people on this site are highly biased toward the books by K &B, which is fine. However, I wanted to share the info that the Author's Press (APress) has already released a new SCJP Study Guide by Dr. Paul Sanghera, and is already selling on Amazon. This is the same author who wrote the SCBCD Exam Study Kit published by Manning.
The SCJP Study Guide by Paul Sanghera, in my opinion, adds a new vartiety to the collection of SCJP books. The K&B book is good, but it's only good for the advanced programmers (It's noted in the book Introduction), whereas Sanghera's book can be used by the beginneres as well. Of course the advanced programmers who want to pass the exam can also use this book because after all it's the same exam. With the inclusion of introductory chapter 1 and the way the material is presented, a beginner in Java can learn Java programming and prepare for the exam at the same time.
The author correctly notices thsat the SCJP exam is very code intensive. So, the book presents hundreds of complete code examples discussed all through the book, and for which the code is available for download. You can run these examples and experiment with them to get comfortable with reading and understanding code in a limited amount of time in the exam.
I also liked the Quick Exam Prep appendix, and the appendix to install Java environment could also be useful for beginners. The advanced programmers can ignore Chapter 1 and Appendix A (for installation) and the book is just for them as well...because the style (logical learning sequence) that the author uses works for all: advanced and beginners.
The book aalso gives useful info for the folks who are considering to taake the upgrade exam. The mapping of the upgrade exam objectives to the chapters in the book is provided in an appendix.

I like the book very much and recommend it to all who either want to take the SCJP exam, or just want to learn basics of Java programming.

For more info, you can check the book out at Amazon.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks

i need to get such a type of book

is there any pdf file to fetch it

pls help me

Edited: Piracy request deleted
[ June 13, 2006: Message edited by: Bert Bates ]

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

i need it free

Buwahahahahahah ! you didnt think the author sat down on sleepless nights to write that book just to give it to you for free do you ?

If you like it, buy it !

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Everey body has to work and earns his money to feed his family ... free? its more piracy ... bad very baaad...

lol
arno

ps : if you need free stuff...check google.com
or wikipedia...its free and very usefull
[ June 13, 2006: Message edited by: Arno Reper ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's good to see another book on the SCJP. I use many books when studying for certifications, so it's nice to see some more options. Though... one thing does bug me a bit... if you are a true beginner to the language and can't even write a simple HelloWorld... why would you even think you're read to be certified? Not knocking the book though, I'm sure it's great

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Banu,

Please do not request pirated material on JavaRanch! Also, as an author I'd ask you personally not to engage in the acquisition or distribution of any pirated materials. Authors usually put hundreds or even thousands of hours of work into each book they create!

Thanks,

Bert

Banu Ravi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry

i feel for what i have done

but i'm help less

i'm a student where i wasn't able to make money to buy

i asked

once again sorry thanks a lot

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"I know that people on this site are highly biased toward the books by K&B"

I think the bias is mainly because that book is very good and there are very few good alternatives. It is great to see that there are new alternatives.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can you send my some sample on nileshpatel7048@yahoo.com???

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic