• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Class call on PHP script

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi
I am trying to build an application that calls on a php script.I do not want to use an applet. I can obtain the URl by using java.net and creating a URL object. What i really want to do is use a java application that stores information. Then calls a php script to execute, do all the web stuff and return values to my java application. The php stuff needs to be hidden from, view, can anyone advise me on this?
[ December 14, 2004: Message edited by: Melanie Walsh ]

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, welcome to the Java Ranch.
Second, you say you don't want to use an applet, yet you post in the Applet forum. Interesting. . .
Third, you are going down the right track. It is very common to have an application request information from a URL, maybe even POSTing data for the cgi-servlet-php to work on. The buzz word for such a thing is a "web service". There's a chapter in the Java Tutorial on Working with URL's that may be useful.

Melanie Walsh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Joe, will have a read through. It was my first posting and i mistakenly posted in this section then was unable to move. Have been reading up on web services thanks for your input was worried i was barking up the wrong tree.

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No worries. For future reference, you can delete your own posts. Click on the edit icon (looks like a pencil and paper at the top of your post, same line as the date and time). On the edit page there's a "Delete Post" checkbox.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic