• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Signed applet and connection refused error

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am working on a file upload applet. I have signed the applet correctly and when I access the page I accept the certificate and the applet loads. All is fine up to this point.

However, when I try to make a connection to the server and therefore upload the files I receive a �Connection refused error.. The environment I am working on is windows xp. On this same machine I have a virtual machine that runs linux where tomcat server runs. They connect through a router.

Do you think it might be a firewall setting?

What does the �Connection refused error� generally mean?

Thank you for you help
david

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Connection refused" means either the server is not accepting connections on a port or that a firewall has blocked the request.
How do you connect two OS's running on the same computer through a router? Just curious. Never done it. Do they have different IP's and ethernet connections?
Can you ping from one OS to the other? That's probably the biggest question.
Are you sure you are connecting to the correct port? 80 is the default for HTTP connections but I think Tomcat listens to 8080 by default.
I don't know if the XP firewall would be the culprit, since the XP connection is outgoing, but check this out: XP Internet Connection Firewall
Depending on your Linux distribution, you may have a firewall running there too. Check your documentation.

david allen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the reply.
I am thinking the problem is that I am running the tomcat on port 8080 and in the url constructor I am specifying the port by localhost:8080 and not as a separate parameter in one of the other url constructors. I will try it tonight.

Regarding my network set up I have a router connected to my adsl router. I then have an Ethernet connection from my laptop to the router. The windows xp has an internal ip like 192.xxx.xxx.100 and debian has something like 192.xxx.xxx.100. The reason I have them on a router so as to create a LAN that way they can communicate. On the router I have port 8080 forwarding to debian so that way it can be accessed from xp when testing the site with IE.

The network set up works well but I would prefer to have the host as debian and the guest XP.

I will let you know how I go with the applet over the weekend.

Thanks for your help
david

david allen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just regarding my last post. I mentioned that I use port forwarding. That is only if I want to access the test site from outside of the lan and not to test it from XP

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by david allen:
Thank you for the reply.
I am thinking the problem is that I am running the tomcat on port 8080 and in the url constructor I am specifying the port by localhost:8080 and not as a separate parameter in one of the other url constructors. I will try it tonight.

It does not make a difference whether you specify the port as part of the host or as a separate parameter. They get resolved the same way.
You say you can see Tomcat displaying pages from XP? I'd rule out any interference from a firewall or routing as the TCP/IP traffic takes the same route (making sure the URL is the same, of course).
If you don't see anything obvious in your applet code, consider re-posting your problem in the
Sockets and Internet Protocols forum. Your problem isn't with applets in general and the other forum has more traffic.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic