• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Applet - Object of zero size

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm embedding an applet in a web-page, but have no reason for it to display. So, I set height and width to 0. Instead of disappearing after that annoying pop-up (Press SPACEBAR or ENTER ...), I'm left with a dot - as though the dimensions are actually height and width = 1.

Is that a problem you've encountered? How can I get rid of the dot? (And while we're at it, is there a graceful way to get rid of the annoying pop-up?)

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've done this in the past, and no dot was visible. But that is a pathological edge case, and as such may vary for each browser implementation and/or version.

The way to remove the popup is to use a decent browser - I think only IE has this problem. (Sorry, couldn't help it )

Roger F. Gay
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been researching on the web and have also tried running in Opera and Firefox. I understand that the problem is limited to MSIE; and also read that MS doesn't want to fix it. Obviously though - developing the application doesn't mean that I get to decide what browsers users will be running. MSIE is still the most popular I suppose. I'm not sure I have to live with it though. When I run on a different machine (not the server), I don't get the pop-up. Microsoft asked once whether I wanted to allow the application, I said yes, and it was nice from then on (but still the little dot).

I've also read that some of these effects disappear when the applet is signed. I'm still in development, and doing the signature work is not a priority at this point. I've never worked with signature technology before. It looks like it's not hard - once you know how. But I keep reading that I need to put the applet in a jar file and sign the jar. I just don't want the extra steps while I'm still working on the applet.
[ August 28, 2007: Message edited by: Roger F. Gay ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic