• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

study process: coding vs mock exams

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

In your opinion, which topics require more coding effort to prepare for the exam ? I'm about to finish chap. 2 of Sierra & bates and so far, only Enums made me want to concretely practice.

I guess I tend to rely more on mock exams for better preparation. I must say I'm an intermediate java programmer and I've been developing software for 10 years now. I guess it must make a difference compared to say, a new programmer trying to tackle SCJP.

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Almost all the topics require some coding practice so that you get used to java. There were some topics that I did not pay much attention to like Locale and DateFormat. Thats not to say these are not used in the work place. I found that I could answer questions about them without having to code too much in that area

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ranchers,

I think, it is not a good idea to do too many mocks in the beginning.
Because if you do them too often, you "spoil" them. You'll begin to memorize the right answers because you recognize variable or method names rather than really know why you give the correct answers.
Perhaps make up a heap of flip charts with question on front and the answer on the back side. Use names like "A", "B", "C" for classes and "method", "foo" or alike for method to reduce the probability that you are actually learning the identifier names.
Do a lot coding experiments and make some notes.
Try to answer the questions that apper in this forum.

When you're think, your done with a topic (and you think you may pass) do the mock to find out what's still missing.
A mock that can hardly be spoiled is the one-question-a-day of Marcus Green: http://www.examulator.com/phezam/question.php
So start your day with this.

Yours,
Bu.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic