• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Studying for SCJP is becoming bore

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I have been trying to study for SCJP since last 3 months but I am not able to advance faster. I start studying, there is a heap of rules to be remembered and that is so boring

I have been trying to make this interesting but it is very difficult for me to avoid boredom. Does anybody have any interesting method to study for SCJP?

I have tried several times but each time I start studying, I get bored and leave studying. Then again, as I have forgot everything I have to start from the beginning of the book and again I get bored.

I have to pass SCJP by December but I am very frustrated with learning the same topics again and again and forgetting everything due to boredom.

Please suggest me some interesting way.

- Nikhil

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nikhil Kulkarni:

I have to pass SCJP by December

You might want to consider whether you want to pursue something that's so boring to you in your career. Maybe you belong in another line of work!

Nikhil Kulkarni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know whats happening to me.

Being a programmer is my long cherished dream. I have been struggling since last 4.5 years to get a programmer's job. I have done lot of small projects and scripts in perl, PHP, C, JAVA but still I couldn't get a job as a programmer. My present work experience is in technical support and that is the biggest obstacle in my way to get a programmer's job. Because I am tech support engg, I am not considered fit for a programmer's job even though I can program well.
Due to this frustration, I have started loosing interest in programming and may be that is the reason why I am feeling studying for SCJP is boring.
Days are very bad for me and if this prevails, I am afraid I wouldn't be able to achieve anything in my life.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Don't be so frustrated. Just stay on your goal and you will get everything in your life what you want.
About get bore in SCJP study. I think SCJP preparations from K & B book is very interesting. I don't know which book you do have. Did you finish book at least one time? My suggestion is, stick with the book & complete at least for 2 times. Then take free mock exams from some web sites. If you get good scores in mock exams, then you are good to go for exam.
If you think that I get bore, I get bore then nobody can help you even not you.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My advice is to read multiple books at once. Perhaps 2-3 books of either related or unrelated topics. Usually if I study just 1 book, it bores me out, for various reasons. Probably the most significant reason is that sometimes one book may not be clear enough in every topic to really get through to me. But some of the topics gets cleared up when I read other books. That works for me. Good luck, and don't give up. If you have a dream, then go for it by all means. Even if it takes twice as long as others, as long as you believe you can do it, and if it doesn't affect your life in a negative way then you should definitely stick with it.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I start studying, there is a heap of rules to be remembered and that is so boring.

Another way to look at it is... Don't try to just remember it. Try to understand it. There are generally reason why certain things are -- and understanding the "why" helps.

Another option is to just write some code with the API you are trying to learn -- and I don't mean simple programs. People tend to remember something better with usage, particularly when they run into a bug, that takes a long time to figure out.

Henry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I strongly second what Henry said. The point of the certification exam is to get you to understand concepts that will make you a better programmer... so a vital part of the learning process is to apply what you learn to actual code--even if it's just a few toy examples here and there. If you're just treating this as a textbook study course, you're definitely going about it the wrong way!

Also, maybe 3 months of preparation is a little too long if you already have programming experience. Maybe you may want to move your test date up; nothing raises the excitement of exam preparation than knowing that the test is just a week away! (But make sure that it's a realistic target for your current level of skill!)

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic