• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how much time required for oreparing scjp5?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi
I am pradeep,have studied khalid mughal & i have just started K&b .I want to know how much time is required for preparing scjp 5? i have read 1st chapter of K&B in 4 hours.(means one day)
Please tell me when should i give exam of scjp5.
Thanks in advance

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by pradeepdon singh:
...have read 1st chapter of K&B in 4 hours. (means one day) Please tell me when should i give exam of scjp5...

Preparing for the exam is more than simply working through a book. It's a question of acquiring an understanding and developing skills. For some people, this comes quickly. For most people, it doesn't. This all depends on a wide range of factors. So you might need another few weeks, or you might need several months.
[ November 10, 2007: Message edited by: marc weber ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree fully with what Marc said. Also, the best way to gauge where you stand in your preparation is to do a few questions from a mock exam. Once you can consistently score at least 70% on mock exams, you're probably good to go. If you're hovering closer to the 50% mark, then you probably need to spend more time honing your grasp of your weaker topics. And if you're scoring well below 40%, then you definitely want to give yourself much more time.

Also, in my opinion, the real key to success in the SCJP exam is to spend time actually writing code. Don't just read all day long. Take time to type out the books' sample programs, experiment with different ways of modifying them, and come up with your own small programs to try out the concepts and API contents that you have trouble understanding or memorizing.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic