• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

eclipse...??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have come accross with the word "eclipse" many times in this forum.Can some one tell me what that is?
This might sound silly..I'm sorry... but I really need your help as I'm new to s/w field itself.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
question should be posted in java beginner section. Eclipse is an IDE that can be used to write computer programs such as java. Go here for more infomation: http://www.eclipse.org/

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Slight nitpick: Eclipse is more than just an IDE. It's a rich client platform that many development companies in the Java world are increasingly running their entire applications on. (My own current project is an Eclipse-based application.)

But anyway, to Varalakshmi: you probably saw people mentioning Eclipse in this forum because it's a very good environment for quickly trying out Java concepts, thanks to its incremental compiler. I always strongly recommend keeping a copy of the Eclipse IDE open when you're studying for the SCJP so that you can write code to clarify your doubts and reinforce what you read.

Varalakshmi Ramanarayan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks to both of you..
Now I have a copy of it and i'm loving it...

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not sure this thread is appropriate in the SCJP forum, but keep in mind that the SCJP exam is geared towards using command line tools -- not an IDE.

(Personally, I've never had luck using Eclipse. But it's free.)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by marc weber:
.. the SCJP exam is geared towards using command line tools -- not an IDE.

Yes, and I ve seen that testing using an IDE like Eclipse could sometimes give extra warnings or less, but don't remember in which area that happen, and though using command- line could be more convenient in regard to SCJP.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Generally speaking we recommend that before using any IDE, you learn Java from the command prompt. Once you really understand what's going on "under the covers", an IDE can really help efficiency, but we've seen too many programmers who rely on their IDE without really understanding what it's doing for them.

As far as studying for any of the Java cert. exams goes, I'd be REALLY careful about using an IDE. Maybe you could use it as a second source of information, but I would ALWAYS start studying a topic by compiling and running code from the command line.

hth,

Bert

Varalakshmi Ramanarayan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So,Should I stop using Eclipse, as I am new to Java?
I felt it more user friendly.

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Varalakshmi Ramanarayan:
So,Should I stop using Eclipse, as I am new to Java? ...

IDEs can "insulate" you from some of what's happening. If you're experienced and already know what's happening, that can streamline things and make you more efficient. But if you're new to Java, that can get in the way of learning the basics and cause you problems down the road.

I recommend learning Java first (using the command line) before getting used to an IDE -- especially if you plan on taking the SCJP exam.

Kelvin Chenhao Lim
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Varalakshmi Ramanarayan:
So,Should I stop using Eclipse, as I am new to Java?
I felt it more user friendly.

Varalakshmi, although it's true that you must learn a bit of command-line syntax for the SCJP exam, I still strongly believe you'll learn Java essentials more effectively with the Eclipse IDE. However, I do suggest that you turn off its "Code Assist" features so that you don't become dependent on that for actually writing code. (Go to Window | Preferences | Java | Editor | Code Assist, and turn off "Auto Activation".)

As long as you write every line of code yourself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using an IDE for learning Java. On the contrary, its fast turnaround time will probably encourage more free experimentation, which is crucial for building a deep understanding of the language. And you'll be able to focus more on the actual language features, instead of being distracted initially by the development workflow and scaffolding.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic