• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

suggession regaring taking scjp 1.5?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hai

I booked scjp 1.5 slot on decemember 1st 2007
I am preparing for the exam since 3-4 months
I read k&B book 2-3 times...but some topics like threads,serialization and some bits in collections i am not confident enough....
I have done around 5 mock tests...i got 50-60%..some times even below that

Still only 1 week left for the exam

so please suggest me like ..In what way should i prepare now so that i can score better in the exam

Thanks in advance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi anveshana,

I definitely don't want to be discouraging, but from the questions you've been posting, it does seem like you're still not quite at the required level of Java mastery for the SCJP.

The good news: it looks like you're getting there. You've taken a good step by coming to this forum and asking questions. However, you must invest time to find out for yourself what the answers are. Don't just post your doubts to the forum and wait for someone else to give you the answers--take out your Java compiler and see if you can figure out why each mock exam program behaves the way it does! Consult the API javadoc and the Java Language Specification if you need to clarify something about the API or the language. I cannot emphasize this enough: you must write code to become a good Java programmer. When I was preparing for the SCJP, I made sure I always had my Eclipse window open when reading or doing a mock exam, so that I could quickly write a small test program to test out anything I can uncertain about. I strongly recommend that you do the same.

Also, do try to answer other people's questions on this forum; very often, the best way to learn is to try to teach. And even when you really can't figure something out and need to post a question here, try to at least describe your current understanding of the problem. You'd be surprised at how often the mere act of writing out your area of confusion is enough to get your brain juices flowing to resolve the confusion!

With only one week left, things will definitely be a bit challenging. But you can definitely still do it, especially since your weak areas are confined to just a few topics. Go through the mock exams again over the next 2-3 days, but this time write as much code as you can to explore the underlying concept for each question that you stumble on. After that, post all your remaining questions to this forum, including descriptions of why each question doesn't match your current understanding of the topic. And check in on this forum from time to time to see if you can answer other people's questions. Then, finally, do one last pass of the K&B and Whizlabs mock exams, and hopefully you'll be all set for the actual SCJP.

Good luck, and all the best!
[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Kelvin Lim ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic