• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regarding Importane of SCJP for Freshers

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Can Anyone let me know,whether SCJP1.5 will be useful for getting job as a postgraduate student having less academic score.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It may depend on the university and the exact course of study, but generally I doubt that an SCJP certification will make any difference in a graduate school application. The SCJP is intended to be a practitioner qualification, not an academic one.

edit: I might have misinterpreted your question. If you're asking whether it'll help you in your job applications after graduating with below-average grades, then yes it may help a little. However, the SCJP is an entry-level certification, so you shouldn't expect potential employers to pay as much attention to it as your educational qualifications.
[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Kelvin Lim ]

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It won't do any harm to a university application but it is not something they will be looking for and it is really aimed at the job market. Even there it is only a "nice to have", it is almost never a specific requirement.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I tend to think differently. I have noticed quite a few jobs (mostly contract) that require Java Certification. Also, you are more valuable to consulting companies when you have a cert. Just my $0.02.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm still looking to take the test, but from what I see everyone's correct-sometimes it helps, sometimes they could care less, and of course it's not the same as having hands on experience. If you look at job postings you will see some that put it in there as a prereq but I doubt they'd turn down a hot shot with 10 years of experience LOL

My original reason to take and prepare for this test was twofold: I haven't done Java professionally for over 5 years, so I needed to 'ramp up' anyway, and I thought I might as well get a certification while I was doing so. The only other alternative besides the CS degree is to do an incredibly impressive project (open source app maybe?) and that may help. In retrospect, I've been learning a lot about java getting ready for this test so I'm starting to look at THAT as the biggest benifit - it's really forced me to go back and get my basics rock solid! JMTC

Oh, and another thing. Say you get asked 5-10 questions on an interview; I'll bet at least one of them is a java fundamentals question. Back when I was interviewing (which of course was several years ago) every interview had some fundamental type of question. More food for thought.
[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: nico dotti ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Certification does help(atleast get your fundamentals clear). If you wish to make your career in Java, why not spend sometime to get certified. I am sure it wont harm.

Chandu Choudary
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Thanq all for giving me yours valuable suggestions

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic