• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Certification and recruiment agency

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Guys I am a passive member of the ranch and not sure if this cam up before. I am preparing for the scjp and would like to go for the scwd after that. I have noticed that although recruiters do look for java certification they don't know the difference between SCJP, SCWD, SCBCD and SCEA. I have noticed that as long as you are java certified it does not matter what certification you have. Is it worth it going beyond SCJP if recruiters don't know the value of other certifications?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is no such thing as "the recruiter". What they may or may not know about technology or certifications varies widely between companies. Plus, the value of a certification depends a good deal on the job market you're in. Some markets value certifications a lot, others not at all, and some see them as a negative trait.

Without further information as to what job market you're asking about, any answer is bound to have little value.

Russy Dupee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry man I forgot the most important thing. I was talking about the South African job market.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Russy Dupee:
Sorry man I forgot the most important thing. I was talking about the South African job market.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know from you experienced fellows, what is the value of SCJP in Indian Software Market?

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Som Nath Paul:

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know from you experienced fellows, what is the value of SCJP in Indian Software Market?

SCJP has value everywhere.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SCJP has good value in the IT market, it signifies that you are the better/good java programmer and you are familar with java concepts.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

it signifies that you are the better/good java programmer

Actually, it doesn't. Since the SCJP -like the SCWCD- is completely theoretical and involves no programming, it says little about programming ability.
[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Ulf Dittmer ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Russy, I'm working in Jhb and can say that the certification has a lot of mileage here.
If a recruiter or 10 of them have no idea what the difference is between them, that doesn't matter much, cosmically speaking they don't matter much.
The recruiter often has no idea what the employer requires, and the he or she might have fantastic excuses for that such as "The employer is looking for java and j2ee". They might not know what j2ee is either.

Point is, when the employer asks you to solve a little coding problem in your interview, as some tend to do, the certificate might not help you very much but the learning process in the SCJD for instance might very well have prepared you for it.

The recruiter merely gets your foot in the door, and they might feel 'java certified' is enough, once in the door you might need something more to stay there.
[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Taariq San ]

Russy Dupee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tareeq

I am in Cape Town. I have noticed on alot of job post that a company is looking for a SCJP/SCJD in the same advert. For me its strange because if you
require a SCJD then you have a SCJP certificate already so where's the logic in that. I think maybe it differs between agencies but I think some companies also are not sure what the difference is between these certificates. I am just a junior aspiring to be a architect one day ,but what value does a SCEA carry if people don't know how valuable it is and the effort you had to go through to get it.

Taariq San
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Tareeq

I am in Cape Town. I have noticed on alot of job post that a company is looking for a SCJP/SCJD in the same advert. For me its strange because if you
require a SCJD then you have a SCJP certificate already so where's the logic in that.

For that reason I include SCJP on my CV even though it should be obvious.
I've read CV's from some with masters degrees but they include matric.

I think maybe it differs between agencies but I think some companies also are not sure what the difference is between these certificates. I am just a junior aspiring to be a architect one day ,but what value does a SCEA carry if people don't know how valuable it is and the effort you had to go through to get it.

You gain a lot more from the certification process than the certificate, you'll be forced to learn a lot those lessons will certainly count.

Some employers have no regard for degrees, they feel it's a waste of time, some of them can't tell one degree from another. This doesn't make it a pointless process.

That said the certificate won't make you an architect, and it's perfectly possible to be a certified coder yet unable to actually process quality code.
But if I were interviewing you and another junior with similar experience but holding the certificate, I'd take the other junior and that's where the value is.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic