• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to write vendor SPAM filter?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a prospective client that wants me to write a vender neutral spam filter.
How does JavaMail work? Is it only a client API?
Java seems like a great candidate for vendor neutrality. Are there any open source POP3 servers each user could run in the back ground that would periodically connect to the ISP's POP3 server and filter messages? I could modify the pop3 server to implement a SPAM filter. Then the user would point Eudora or Outlook or rmail at the local POP3 filter that has filtered everything.
Siegfried

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I use a proxy spam filter with Eudora. I point Eudora to get mail from a local port which is the proxy. It forwards the requests to the real mail server and analyses what it gets back. Now that I'm trying to explain it, I realize I don't know just how that works! That might be a desktop solution that could work with multiple mail clients.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic