• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

session timeout

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What is a default for a session timeout.
I have an application that uploads huge files validating every record and sometimes it takes 30 - 40 min. users are complaining that application times out sometimes. What can I do for them before I found a solution to greatly increase performance?

Thanks. Mike.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What is a default for a session timeout.

That's a good question Which piece of software maintains the session?

I have an application that uploads huge files validating every record and sometimes it takes 30 - 40 min.

What takes 30-40 minutes? to upload the entire file? to validate one record while the upload session is open? How your app uploads the files? (through HTTP,FTP, or anything else)

Michael Waserman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The WEB server is Iplanet.
No Dmitry it's not FTP or HTTP. I called an upload the process which is represented by JSP-servlet-classes.
Java class validates every record and doing so makes 2-3 DB2 calls per record besides usual class, sign, number of chars validations. Valid records are inserted into DB2 table, invalid are thrown on JSP to be edited by the user. The entire file takes about 30-40 mins.

Thanks. Mike.

Dmitry Melnik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The WEB server is Iplanet.

Session timeout must be one of it's configuration parameters. Talk to people who configure it, or find a configuration manual.

it's not FTP or HTTP. I called an upload the process which is represented by JSP-servlet-classes.

Isn't it HTTP?

Java class validates every record and doing so makes 2-3 DB2 calls per record besides usual class, sign, number of chars validations. Valid records are inserted into DB2 table, invalid are thrown on JSP to be edited by the user. The entire file takes about 30-40 mins.

I would suggest making your servlet write into a log file operations' start-times and end-times, as well as time-stamps of sessions being open and closed. BTW, the servlet might be doing it already Analyse the logs and find out which operations cause those timeouts most often, make those operations log more details, etc. until you find a real bottle-neck or a bug.

Michael Waserman
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dmitry,
Are you saying that (8000 DB2 calls/connections + 2000 IMS calls through IMF transactions + normal validation routine) per session can not normally take 30-40 min???
I have thought that the problem is not a bug, but my poore design. Unfortunattelly, in my practice this application is one of a kind and I can not compare the time it runs to the other apps. Thanks for the advice to track the timestamps - I will definatelly try that.

Thanks. Michael.

Dmitry Melnik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you saying that (8000 DB2 calls/connections + 2000 IMS calls through IMF transactions + normal validation routine) per session can not normally take 30-40 min???

I am not saying that. I have absolutely no idea what is normal for your app, and what is not.
It might be written in your project requirements. Or might be not, and now the customer might be willing to add something

I think that changing the session timeout while you are investigating the issue might be useful.

I have thought that the problem is not a bug, but my poore design.

As far as I understood, you have a performance issue, right?
I would suggest you to find out what causes those ocasional performance degradations, and then decide
whether it requires a redesign, or a simple code change to resolve it.

Or you might find out that it's Ok to simply set a longer session timeout in your web-server configuration file,
and the problem (as you have described it) will go away.

Unfortunattelly, in my practice this application is one of a kind and I can not compare the time it runs to the other apps.

You can compare performance of your app against your customer's needs (present and/or future). If you find out that performance
needs improvement, then you better start thinking right now on how it could be improved I would start with discovering most
time-greedy operations

Thanks for the advice to track the timestamps - I will definatelly try that.

Good luck

What a show! What atmosphere! What fun! What a tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic