• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Does anybody else get a blank page?

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I use Mozilla firefox. i usually type in my address bar "saloon", then down-arrow to get the full "http://www.javaranch.com". every once in a while, i get a blank page. the progress indicator stops, it says "done", but i have a completely blank window.

if i go to "http://www.javaranch.com", it works every time.

i thought at first it was my office networking guys screwing with me, but it's now starting to happen at home.

edit: and now, every once in a while, when i make a post, i get the "returning you to XXX page", and then it just sits there, again with the progress indicator not indicating any... progress.
[ November 29, 2005: Message edited by: fred rosenberger ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by fred rosenberger:

edit: and now, every once in a while, when i make a post, i get the "returning you to XXX page", and then it just sits there, again with the progress indicator not indicating any... progress.

This also happens to me on 7 out of 10 posts. What Gives?
[ November 29, 2005: Message edited by: Jesse Torres ]

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting - this doesn't ever happen to me, and I'm also using Firefox (1.5), navigating exactly as Fred describes.

I have been having increasing problems with Firefox at other sites, where it gets distracted by random widgets embedded in pages, and I have to kill the tab (and occasionally even the browser itself) to get its attention again. Seems like it's been acting goofy ever since I upgraded to the 1.5 beta (though now I'm using the release version). That probably doesn't have anything to do with what you're seeing, but I felt like venting about it.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I see this problem (Firefox 1.0.7, Linux.) It's not a JavaRanch thing, though, but a general problem with following redirects. Sometimes something confuses Firefox and it stops following redirects. Restarting it makes the problem go away. If Jim never sees it, maybe it's fixed in 1.5.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Heh. Funny thing is, I did see it right after posting the above. :roll: So no, I guess it's not fixed. However I'm certainly not seeing it as often as Jesse.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've never noticed the first problem (I'm using Firefox 1.07)

When I see the second problem (as I have been this evening), I almost always see "Transferring data from v0.extreme-dm.com" in the status bar.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm using Firefox 1.0.4 (yeah, yeah, I'll get around to updating eventually) and I've never had a problem with the redirects.

I do have problems with some things like pdfs and flash though. This can get very annoying when it causes a browser with umpteen important tabs to crash and I have to remember what I had open in each of them. By and large it seems at least as stable as IE, if not more so.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't seen this problem either, between the two variants of Firefox I've been using (1.5 at home and 1.0.7 Portable at the office). Oddness.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For the record, although I said "redirects" above, I'm believe I'm really talking about META REFRESH.

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
I see this problem (Firefox 1.0.7, Linux.) It's not a JavaRanch thing, though, but a general problem with following redirects. Sometimes something confuses Firefox and it stops following redirects. Restarting it makes the problem go away. If Jim never sees it, maybe it's fixed in 1.5.

Funny, all I've ever used to access this site is Mozilla and irefox on Linux and I've never seen this.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:

Linux - You have a 17" G4 PB with 2GB Ram and you are using a Linux system - say it isn't so.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic