• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Proper way for JSP and MySQL

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
After searching this site pretty extensivly I have noticed that whenever someone has a question about JSP and MySQL, everyone seems to be using and giving a solution using a scriplet with JAVA code to connect to the database.
Has anyone used the JSTL/sql library for doing this and been successful?
Is there a "propor" solution be it with a scriplet or jstl/sql? Or is it pure preference?
Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess when you get into pure preferences, I never access a database from my JSP. I prefer to put that code in a servlet or a bean and access that from the JSP. That seems to be the popular design method that I've seen suggested.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As per your preference, then why even use a JSP page. You can access a database through s servlet using straight HTML.
Unless you manipulate the data returned using JSP??
Thanks for the response.
Still looking for people that use the jstl\sql library with success and whether they prefer that method over scriplets or vice versa.
Thanks.

Matthew Phillips
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good question. My answer is based on the fact that I haven't looked at the JSTL, so it may change after I look at it. I also need to preface this by saying that I am not a JSP expert.
The code in JSP to access a bean is much cleaner than the code to access a database directly. It can be done without placing any pure Java code in the JSP. What I have done in the past, although I'm not sure if it is a good practice, is to use a helper class to add the html tags to the dynamic data and have a page with mostly html for formating and just pull the attribute from the request.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I use a Servlet to access a database I just write the servlet to handle all the output, formattting and all. Don't know if that is good practice, but there are only 12 people accessing the database anyway, so speed and resources are definatly not an issue.
I finally got the JSP database access to work using the jstl tags. It's pretty clean, but your db access information does sit in your jsp page directly. So it is hackable. Not too secure.
I just needed to do it to say I did it. I am still learning.
Thanks Matthew.

An elephant? An actual elephant. Into the apartment. How is the floor still here. Hold this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic