• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beginning JSP Web Development Errata

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone managed to get chapter 15 code example up and running without any difficulties?
Does anyone know if there are any errors within the code?
I have looked at Wrox's web site under errata, but it dosn't list any for this chapter.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've just completely rewritten that chapter for the new edition of the book (out in March to coincide with JSP 2.0). Although I must confess I did not try to get the original code running -- it was a substantial rewrite -- I may be able to help you. What errors are you getting?
- Peter

Rob Petterson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not!
I'm thinking about buying the book, but heard that there were a lot of bugs in the code. I also heard that there was no errata page - but thought I'd double check this first with some ranchers.
I think I'll wait for the new edition.
Basically I'm looking for any books that have good working examples of an on-line store using JSP and mySQL or MSAccess - any other books worth looking at?

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well Bill Brogden and Chris Minnick's "Java Developers Guide to e-commerce with XML and JSP" contains some pretty good examples, and is generally worth a read. It uses the "Hypersonic SQL" pure Java database, so you don't need to mess around with installing a database at all if you don't want to - just pop a jar in the classpath. Using a different database instead is pretty easy too. Checkout the review in the bunkhouse.

Rob Petterson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Frank

Peter den Haan
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rob Petterson:
I'm thinking about buying the book, but heard that there were a lot of bugs in the code. [...]
I think I'll wait for the new edition.

Well, if you end up buying the new edition and you can't get the code to work, you know whom to talk to

Basically I'm looking for any books that have good working examples of an on-line store using JSP and mySQL or MSAccess - any other books worth looking at?

Don't mention MSAccess in the same breath as MySQL please
Regarding other books, check out The Bunkhouse. Marcus Green rated Professional Java E-Commerce highly, although it's getting a bit old. The Java Petstore is an excellent, extended application to study, although you wouldn't necessarily approach a real-world project in that way.
- Peter
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic