• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Murach's Java Servlets and JSP

Ranch Hand
Spring VI Editor Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In addition to throwing my name in the hat for a winning copy, I *did* have a question or two about the book...
I read and enjoyed Murach's beginning Java 2 book, and found it very helpful when I was just starting out. I'm curious as to the content of the new book - what specifications of Servlets/JSP does it cover? How much does it get into or emphasize MVC frameworks? Tags? JSF? Is it detailed enough to serve as a source of study for SCWCD, or does it take a more general overview of the technologies?
Thanks, and I look forward to another great book from Murach!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Steve,
For further details have a look at the links.
http://www.murach.com/books/jsps/index.htm
http://www.murach.com/books/jsps/toc.htm
But I am facing some problem in downloading the sample chapters right now.
[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Vijay Singh Rathore ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In addition to throwing my name in the hat for a winning copy
Not a bad idea :roll:
Thanks, and I look forward to another great book from Murach!
Me too

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We developed Murach's Java Servlets and JSP using Tomcat 4.0 as the servlet/JSP container, which implements versions 2.3/1.2 of the servlet/JSP specification.
We tried to present the MVC framework as early as possible in the book, so you don't waste time learning how to use JSPs for tasks that should be handled by servlets, or vice versa. Whenever possible, we tried to emphasize how the MVC framework can help you create well-structure, maintainable applications.
We wrote one chapter on how to use JSP tags to access JavaBeans, and one chapter on how to create and use custom libraries of JSP tags. Unfortunately, we weren't able to cover JSF or JSTL. Maybe we'll be able to include coverage of these topics in a future edition of this book.
If you already have a solid background in serlvet and JSP programming, I don't think this book is the right book for preparing for the SCWCD. However, if you're new to servlets and JSP, I would recommend this book to learn the basic servlet and JSP skills. Then, I would recommend getting another book to prepare for the SCWCD.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, that's the situation I'm in - I know Java, but nothing about servlets or jsp. I plan on getting the certification but I need an intro first. Sounds like you book is the ticket.
ms

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I've learned some servlets and JSPs, but know nothing at all about MVC, will this book help me? Are you using Struts, or some other framework, for MVC?
Also, I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24, the latest one to implement Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2. Will I find anything in your book that has become obsolete since Tomcat 4.0?
[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Newman ]

Steve Morrow
Ranch Hand
Spring VI Editor Clojure
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Joel,
Thanks for the response! It sounds like the book will cover the basic fundamentals of Servlet/JSP - and I'm excited to hear that there's an emphasis on MVC right off the bat. I'm also looking forward to seeing the book - like I said, I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning Java 2 book.

Joel Murach
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ron,
If you know a bit about servlets and JSP, but you aren't using the MVC pattern, I think you will find our book helpful. It describes how the MVC pattern works in theory, and it shows how you can use servlets, JSPs, and JavaBeans to implement that pattern in practice. Our book doesn't show how to use Struts or any other framework to implement the MVC pattern, but it does provide you with all the background you need to understand Struts or another similar framework.
Once you configure Tomcat 4.1 properly, all of the sample applications presented in our book should run fine. But, as you probably know, Tomcat 4.1 provides support for JSTL, which minimizes the importance of our chapter on custom JSP tags (chapter 9). In fact, if you're using Tomcat 4.1, I'd probably recommend skimming this chapter and focusing your energy on learning more about JSTL instead.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic