• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why Murach's Java Servlets and JSP?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi and welcome to the Authors!
I am not trying to be sacrastic but Why should I buy your book when there are so many to choose from on this subject? What I am looking for is what sets your book apart from all the others? I like the reviews it received and am considering purchasing it. I think this is a unique oppurtunity to understand what you as the Authors were trying to accomplish and what made you decide to write this book.
I have experience with php and asp pages and I want to make a move to Java and jsp. Does your book cover any Java or does it get right to the topics at hand assuming a basic experience in Java?
Thank You and welcome to the Ranch!!

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you're asking a fair question.
When we designed the book, we chose to teach a person all the skills needed to design, code, and test an e-commerce site. Since the book is meant for web beginners, we teach the basic web skills. However, we assume you already know Java.
Unlike other beginner books, we cover all the skills needed to design, code, and test a basic e-commerce site. That was the goal of the book. Although most books cover JSPs, servlets, and sessions, most don't cover JDBC, security, email, and custom tags. To write an e-commerce site, you need all of these components.
In addition, we believe the unique "paired pages" format is the best way to learn a subject. It's a methodical format that places all figures and examples of a single topic on the right-hand page, while the text that describes that topic is presented on the left-hand page.
Our book doesn't cover many advanced web programming topics, although we do introduce you to XML and EJBs. We designed the book this way. Once you finish our book, you'll be able to pick up an advanced web programming book and read it without any trouble.

Sal DiStefano
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the excellent reply. Based on your answer I think your book is just what I'm looking for.
I look forward to reading it.
Regards
Sal

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I like the idea of the paired-pages. The book sounds good so I'm going to look at the sample chapters and maybe buy a copy.
Thanks

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't say enough good things about this book. The first section is all on setup - care and feeding of your JSP environment, including how to install & use Tomcat. First book I have seen that explains that topic in English, so that I now can do things that I have been trying to do for 6 months, but couldn't find discussed clearly. The two-page format is great for all learning styles - you've got the theory on the left, and the example on the right. I have been able to do all the examples. This book has really helped me to jump start my JSP learning curve.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dorothy - Thanks for the kind words about our book. When Andrea and I starting working on this book, we also had a hard time finding any books that clearly discussed how to set up a test environment. And, to be honest, we had some difficulty getting our test environments set up correctly. So that's why we took extra time to make sure to get this right in our book. While many of the competing books seem to be written by programmers who are experts in servlet and JSP development (and I bet they're great programmers), they often seem to skip past some of the basics that are critical when you're trying to get started. Hopefully, we've developed a book that covers these basics and fills a void in the book market. Plus, I think our book methodically presents all of the skills you need to become a servlet and JSP expert yourself. At the least, I think it takes you to a level where you can understand the more advanced books on various aspects of J2EE development. Thanks again.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I went through contents of the book seems well organised esp how to connect Mysql.
My only concern is the cost of the book, is it little bit high?

Sal DiStefano
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is 30% off at Amazon.
Sal

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been going through the chapters online. After one day of reading I've just created my first JSP. For beginners, this book is great! It even covers connecting to a MySQL database which is what I'm gonna tackle next.
ms

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
2018 - latest edition still a solid book .Adds JPA and JSF.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic